Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by niaispurpose

Member Name: niaispurpose
Cruise Date: May 2004
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: Alaska
See More About: Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sun Deck Plans
Norwegian Sun - Alaska
I took my mom on the Norwegian Sun for her 51st birthday, overall we had a good time. Alaska is one of the most beautiful places that I have ever seen. If you can book a cabin with a balcony, it's a plus when cruising to Alaska. However embarkation was a nightmare for us we almost did not make it on the ship. The travel agency screwed up royally. NCL was very helpful in straightening out the situation. As for the cruise it self I've made a little list, I hope it's helpful to you.

Positives:

1. I give the Norwegian Sun 5 stars for their entertainment the theater company was great. I saw 2 shows, peter pan and the Latin finale show. The dancing and singing was pretty impressive for a cruise ship.

2. I loved my balcony cabin; there was plenty of storage space

3. The 24 hour room service was great; when I wanted a snack late at night I didn't have to leave my room to hunt for something to eat, and they were fast I didn't have to wait more than 10 minutes for delivery

4. They have an adequate fitness facility; I worked out just about every day. The cardio machines were good (some people took advantage of running on deck) the weight area was a little tight, but I made sure I got there early before it got crowded. I didn't take any classes. The video game room was pretty cool; I think most kids would enjoy it

5. The out door barbecue they had on the top deck on the first day was delicious.

6. Our room stewards did a very good job keep our room clean they were very pleasant and always gave us what we wanted.

7. Although this was my first time on a cruise I enjoyed the freestyle cruise, I didn't have to dress up all the time, I could relax. I liked that.

Negatives:

1. I was really looking forward to enjoying some good food, but I was very disappointed. At the passing of each day the Garden Cafe went from bad to worse, there was limited drink options only, milk, iced tea, orange juice, and grapefruit juice. You had to pay extra for soda or fruit punch. Avoid the Garden Cafe like the plague. The Seven Seas and the Four Seasons serves much better food.

2. We found a huge big bug in our stateroom; it took the exterminator like forever to come. I thought the critter was going to lay eggs in my suitcase if they took any longer. They made us leave our room for 1 hour; this made us miss lobster night. After we came back and settled in the room I discovered that they didn't kill the critter, he was crawling around my foot, I had to end up killing it myself.

3. Juneau, Wrangell, Skagway, and Ketchikan was great (especially Juneau), however the excursions though NCL Sun was too expensive. I suggest you book your own.

4. All the food should have been free; no one should pay extra for half way decent food. I tried the Allegio II restaurant the service was top notch but the food was just OK. Not worth 30 extra bucks

5. I had a massage at the spa it was a little pricey and the massage itself was just OK.

6. If your single and under 30 but over 18 this is not the most exciting cruise to take. I would guess that 88% to 90% of my fellow passengers were over 65. Not much age or cultural diversity at all (with the exception of the people that worked on the ship), I'm from New York City so I'm use to seeing and interacting with different people. I met some really nice people on the ship and made a few friends, but not every one was so pleasant.

Regardless of what happened, I was determined to enjoy myself, and I did. Everything does not always go according to your plan, have a good time anyway. I've learned to stop complaining about every little thing, life is too short. Whether it's your Birthday, honeymoon, wedding anniversary, or vacation. Have fun and cherish the moments with your loved ones and friends.

I can't wait for my next cruise; however I don't believe I will be cruising with NCL the next time around.

Hope my review was helpful...HAPPY CRUISING!

Publication Date: 06/07/04