“Explorer of the Seas - Western Caribbean”
Cruise review of Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas

KurtMo Explorer of the Seas 5 Explorer of the Seas - Western Caribbean
KurtMo
Member Since 2004
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
Embarkation: We arrived at the Miami airport at 12 noon, picked up bags and caught a taxi to the port. By shortly after 1 PM we were boarding the ship. Very painless and easy!

Dining: Food in Windjammer was hit-and-miss for breakfast; french toast, omelet station, and waffles good, pancakes terrible! Cafe Promenade was a nice spot to grab coffee and pizza/pastry/sweet snack. Main dining room was mostly good, some dishes disappointed. Sea Bass, beef filet, lamb, crab cakes were very good, flourless chocolate cake is awesome! Overall, I would like to see the food quality and menu improve a notch.

Public Rooms: Ship is well-maintained and very attractive (think Hyatt or Marriott style decor); the promenade is a great place to walk or grab a quick bite/snack at the Cafe. The soft-serve ice-cream on the promenade is pretty good as well. Aquarium bar and Schooner bar have nice atmosphere, but were a bit "smoky" for our tastes. Library is honor-system and should be an early stop if you need a book -- seemed a bit understocked for a ship this size. Best spot in the Windjammer is aft (Island Grill Area) so you can look out over the ship's wake.

Entertainment: Ice show was very good, production shows were good. "The Happenings" were a headliner that I knew after one song were just a 20-30 years too old for me! Comedians were decent.

Cabin: We booked an inside quad, so we were more concerned with public spaces/activities than cabin. The cabin was amazingly functional and held all of our luggage (for the cruise and the 5 nights at Disney which followed!). We like the "test tube" shower with adjustable shower head -- it probably would be tight for a large person though. There are many small storage spaces in the bath vanity and cabin vanity/desk areas. A little extra space would have been nice, but we got what we paid for!

Fitness & Recreation: Fitness center was nice and had a good selection of equipment. Peak hours seemed to be 7 - 9 AM.

Shore Excursions: In Belize, my wife and son (7) took the city & animal sanctuary tour and were underwhelmed with the sanctuary; this was the only ship-sponsored excursion we did the entire trip (and the basis of my rating). On our own my daughter (10) & I did X-Stream cave tubing and had a very good time (I would recommend this highly for teens). At Costa Maya we booked a tour to the Chaccobben ruins at the pier ($45 pp, kids 2-for-1) and enjoyed it. In Cozumel, we cabbed over to Paradise Beach and had a great day with good food and drinks and reasonable prices. In Grand Cayman, we did 1/2 day Captain Marvin's stingray tour and had good fun (and they give free small rum cakes to you at the end).

Children's Program: Kids wanted to go to the program almost every morning/afternoon. Organized activities were a hit with both kids, and they earn points that are redeemed for prizes at the end of the cruise.

Explorer of the Seas Cruises to the Western Caribbean

No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Explorer of the Seas Review
Explorer of the Seas Cruises to the Western Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?