Prinsendam Cruise Review by Barcart

Cruise Date: October 2008
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: AB
See More About: Prinsendam Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

Ship Facts: Prinsendam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Prinsendam Deck Plans
Left me wanting more
I just finished reading a post submitted by another person that was on the same cruise we were on and I just can't understand all the negative comments because from our experience, which was totally opposite, he and his travel mate must have been on another cruise.

Neither of us noticed anyone that was sick, crew or otherwise. Yes, on two occasions, an ambulance came and met the ship upon arrival but that's another matter altogether. As for the sterility liquid dispensers, well, that's what they are there for; to sterilize one's hands before touching anything. And as concerns that person contracting a cold or flu, me thinks that considering the ingestion period, his cold was got either on his flight over or during his two days in Rome, not on the ship.

Yes, when one gets a cold, and miserable and develop a bad mood making everything about you seem less than pleasant so I can understand that gentleman's demeanor. But to label staff as overweight, indifferent, apathetic and other such names and to say that many had colds is just plain wrong because that certainly was not our experience or observation.

Generally we found the food to be of first class quality. From the fog's legs, duck liver pate and escargot, to name a few in the appetizer department to the grilled lamb chops, duck, Alaska king crab legs and other such delights in the main course selection, the food on our plates tasted very good and was presented with finesse. The only complaint in the food department for us was that the schnitzel and Chicken Kiev were not up to par, in our opinion. Regarding the meat he eat, my question is "Why would one eat a steak or roast of beef on a ship sailing on the other side of the world from where one comes, especially from a place that grows great beef, when there are so many alternatives to choose from?" I can't understand that.

As for the deserts, well, desert isn't a mainstay in our diets but we found the cheese plates to have a nice verity. The one time I ate a piece of pecan pie, I found it delicious.

Overall, the entertainment was good. From the selection of movies to the magician, comedian, flautist and singers and dancers, we enjoyed ourselves and thought everyone put on a good show.

Of the shore excursions, of which we participated in 6 altogether, we found Albania a big disappointment. The place was poor, run down, dirty and full of empty condo apartments. The poverty as witnessed by a grand market of used shoes reminded us of how lucky we were to be visitors rather than residents.

I did find something to complain about and that was the charge for renting a DVD. That's nickle and diming, in my opinion. Additionally, the charge for Internet could be much less than what the ship was offering. After all, it isn't like the service isn't already on board for the crew's use, so why charge so much to its passengers.

We also thought that those seated in the forward part of the Lafontain dining room received more attention from the staff than those seated in the forward section.

All in all, I'd go on that ship again. Even though she's an "Old Girl" she was still seaworthy. From the food, the friendliness of service staff and professionalism of the captain and his staff, we always felt safe.

We shall return.