Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by chessybear: Splendor ticks all the boxes

chessybear
Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Splendor ticks all the boxes

Sail Date: October 2008
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

I am writing this review, as I have had invaluable advise and help on CC.

We are 3 Kiwi's who were on our first trip to Europe, we had already been travelling overland for 2.5 weeks when we boarded Splendor. Training out from Termini was easy. As long as you have a bag on wheels, and are up for a bit of a walk (the platform is just about at the end number 28) the cost is only 4.50euro and absolute steal, compared to transfer's and taxis. We all had 2 piece's of luggage and still managed. Once we got there we opted to pay the 5 euro to take the taxi transfer straight to the ship, we saw alot of people walking with their bags, but we felt it was a small price to pay to jump the queue and board the ship early. Embarkation, was very easy and we were onboard very quickly.

Our cabin 1111 on the Spa Deck was gorgeous, we had bought an oceanview originally and then upgraded a month out for a small price, we felt it was well worth it as we went from deck 1 to deck 11. More The beds, linen and pillows were the best I have slept on as far as cruises go. Our Cabin steward and wait staff at dinner were all very attentive. (Apparently the color scheme is different on this deck as well, more of an asian flavor - red's in color). They also give you elemis products.

We loved starting our sea days with a walk around the corner and straight into the Thalasso pool. They give you different bath robes, cloud 9 slippers and a white band to wear as you enter this area. It is also a non-smoking floor, and there are only 8 cabins on each side. It also has direct access through a door to the top pool, and sunbathing area.

I won't repeat what Soccerfan has said about the common area's except to say that she's right re the movie's, lounger's etc all great.

I too thought the decor was okay, never been a pink fan, but it kind of grows on you. We liked the glass atrium lifts.

The shows were great, but I am a fan on song and dance. The seating in the theatre was not the best I thought, lots of poles obstructing your views, or you got a sore neck if you were on ground floor as they were not tiered.

The food was great in the restaurant, and I enjoyed the nightly sing and dance act, put on by the waiters. We were on Sapphire in Feb, and I thought Carnival's food was better. We especially liked the wok station, and the service and pizza's at the pizza bar were excellent, he also make's up caesar salad as well.

I heard quite a few complaint's in the lift, (Oh it's not like Cunard or similar), I quite frankly can't believe what people have to moan about. Cunard, CelebritiyX are all different caliber ships, do people not do their homework or read reviews. Surely the name Carnival suggest's immediately what type of ship and style they have chosen.

I for one will sail with Carnival again, (I have cruised with Royal Caribbean and Princess) to me they bring to the market (especially in Europe) a very affordable cruise without having to chose MSC or similar. When were were booking, Princess was more than double that of Carnival and we could have never afforded a balcony spa floor!!! If people want to make comparisons then pay the extra $$$ and they are alot more expensive and cruise with Cunard or similar.

Disembarkation was very smooth, I would recommend pre-booking a shuttle, and avoiding the train option. There are often strike's and on our day of departure that is exactly what happened, we of course had a pre-arranged shared shuttle for only 20 euro p.p. an excellent price.

I would like to say thankyou to all those who joined us on our private tours, we had a blast and a truly memorable experience, one I will never forget, the port's all met our expectations they were wonderful. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>