Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by ctownjerry: The service is

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sky Bahamas Cruises

The service is

Sail Date: October 2008
Destination: Bahamas

Embarkation: My wife and I arrived at the Port of Miami around 11:30am on October 13th and we were in a pretty small line waiting to go in. The security was pretty easy to go through if you have your paperwork with you. If you are married, you might want to bring your marriage license. My wife's passport still has her maiden name on it, so they gave her a little grief about seeing two different last names for her, but since she and I had the same last name they let her on.

After we got on the ship, we were greeted with a flute of champaign each, they had orange juice also, so my wife took that. The Atrium area is very beautiful! We can already tell that the people who work on this ship not only are very nice, but love to work on this ship and take great pride on doing so.

We were told our room would not be ready until after 2pm, but my wife has insulin that needed to be refrigerated, so we went to our room, and to our surprise, it was ready for us! We checked More all of the usual things (A/C, sink and toilet)to see if all was well, and everything worked!

We then went to see if lunch was ready to be served in The Palace which is one of the two main dining rooms, it was, so we sat down and was immediately taken aback by how great the service was from the time we sat down. I had the BBQ Ribs lunch and my wife had a ham and cheese grilled panini. We both loved it! We also had breakfast there and loved that also.

The ship is in very nice shape and was decorated nicely. In my opinion, I don't think it is too Hawaiian, if you never knew it used to be a Hawaiian ship, you would just think it was decorated nicely for the Bahamas.

The Food: We ate the first nights dinner, 2 lunches and 3 breakfasts at the buffet restaurants. The food there was okay, not great by any means though. For dinner they have a carved meat of the day, hot dogs (which were very good for hot dogs), potatoes, breads, salads, and deserts. There is not much to drink there unless you like milk, coffee or iced tea. For breakfast they have waffles, pancakes, sausage, bacon, really runny scrambled eggs, and pastries. For lunch, they had almost the same menu as the dinners. We ate at Il Adagio on Tuesday. It was well worth the $10 fee per person! The food was excellent and the service we received was even better! The last 2 nights on the ship we ate at Cagney's Steakhouse. The fee to eat there is an extra $20 per person, and it was well worth it there too! The first night I had a 16oz T-bone and the second night I had a 10oz Filet Mignon, both were excellent! My wife had a NY Strip both nights and she raved about it both times! The service there was as good or even better then Il Adagio!

We did not take part in any of the late night parties on the ship like White Hot Party or Carnivale because we aren't dancers or drinkers, so we just retired to our cabin.

The Cabin: We had a balcony room so the views were always awesome! The bathroom is very small and there is absolutely no storage space at all so we had to live out of our luggage for the 4 night cruise. The TV is very small and had no more than 5 channels on it. The balcony is a nice size though.

The Shows: The second night of the cruise we say the "On Broadway" show which features the ships production staff. I am not the "Broadway" fan out of the 2 of us, but even I liked it! The third night we say the comedian Rich Purpura. He is realllllly funny! I think we would actually pay to see him again! The third night we saw the production staff again in a Rock n Roll Review. This was good as well. It seemed to much like the first show we saw with them, but that is just my opinion.

We played Bingo on the second day and I won $90! The price to play ranges from $29 to $69. For $69 you get a handheld computer that holds 120 bingo cards in it and automatically keeps track of all of them and tells you if you win, so that is easily the best value. For the $29, all you get is 6 paper cards. The host is the assistant cruise director "Bingo" Joe Peach. He is not only a great assistant cruise director, he is hilarious cracking all kinds of jokes during bingo so it not boring at all!

The Cruise Director is Matt Baker. We didn't see much of him in his Director job, but he hosted all of the shows and greeted us every day over the P.A. system. He is so funny, and very, very energetic! He tells jokes, he dances, plays the harmonica, and just seems like a great guy! He ends all conversations on stage or over the P.A. system with "Wiki Wiki Wah". We have no idea what that means but it is funny how he always has to add it! All in all, we had a great time aboard the Sky, and thanks to the staff onboard, we recommend this ship to everyone! Less

Read more Norwegian Sky cruise reviews >>