Eurodam Cruise Review by edu-sense

Cruise Date: August 2008
Embarkation: Copenhagen
Destination: Transatlantic
Cabin Category: vf
See More About: Eurodam Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Eurodam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Eurodam Deck Plans
Eurodam good and bad
The Eurodam needs more work, but with the front desk and laundry, on the whole it was a great cruise but I will start at the beginning.

We booked through an online agent and was kept fully up to date on the progress of the ship from the Eurodam blog.

On our arrival into copenhagen, we took a taxi to the cruise terminal as Holland America wanted a silly amount of money to put us on a coach.

When we went to check in our cases, the people taking them had no indication they were from Holland America, we had to check with someone at the boarding station before I would let go of my luggage, once I did embarking was great, no hold ups at all.

We went right to our room and was surprised at how spacious it was, like a hotel room compared to other cabins, there was ample storage and everything was clean and new.

We waited a while for our luggage, but did not mind this as we had only travelled from the UK, someone travelling long haul wanting to shower/bath and change, might have found this annoying.

Our cabin Steward was great, nothing was to much for him and he worked far to many hours for my liking, in the end I said he should chill out and watch some tv in our room and if his boss comes in say we left the tv on, we also told him one day that we didn't want him to do our room so he could get off work early, he didn't listen, he said he would but upon our return the room was immaculate, they certainly work very hard.

The food on the ship varied from location to location, I did not like the room service, as only half the time was the order correct, and when it was they seemed to forget the cutlery.

The main restaurant was good, it was very difficult to get a table for 2, everyone mentions this so maybe they should consider having more smaller tables.

The lido was fine, always plenty of choice but often the food was cold and finding a seat was a battle, often you would circle the place so many times you burnt the calories off before you had even eaten.

The tamarind was an experience, we thought that the service was top notch in the evening, the same could not be said for the food, it was mediocre at best, we went back and tried it at lunch and it was a little better but the service was not there, and we ended up with the wrong desserts, we could see the staff were stretched so we made no fuss and ate what we were given.

The Pinnacle grill was out of this world, the service was 100% without going over the top and distracting you from your dinner guests. The food was always perfection and we could not fault a thing. My only comment would be that on a 16 night cruise, they ought to think about some variations in the menu, fair enough with the steak, but after going 5 times we was stuck on what to order.

The laundry was horrific, it stated that the labels were read and everything done properly, my underwear all came back with dodgy elastic, it clearly said the washing instructions but they were obviously never read.

The bars were great, no complaints something for everyone.

The casino was fun, the manager always cheery and sending over drinks for you if your glass got to low. He was also great at telling jokes and had us in stitches a few times

The entertainment on the whole was average, you could see what they were doing, trying to appeal to all tastes and I suppose across the whole cruise they did so I shall not complain.

The spa was fantastic, the manager helpful and the staff great to chat to whilst they pampered away, the spa was always spotless and the same can be said for the changing rooms and thermal suite.

Reception were rude, we went down to query a bottle of champagne supposedly purchased in the Tamarind, we only ordered a bottle of wine in the Tamarind so knew this to be incorrect although we did knock a few bottles of champagne back, it turned out that it was a bottle we had signed for in the silk den, but they were really rude about it as if we were trying to get out of paying for it, I did get very sarcastic with her at this point and said if she would like to address us with such aggression maybe they could address where we had the champagne with such. I avoided the front desk.

Culinary arts center

This was a joke, 2 celeb chefs teaching how to cook a 4 course meal.

We was told upon arrival we would be split into 3 groups and we would all be making a different piella, we was then told the problem was we had no ingredients, eventually they turned up, well some did, some were changed and some just absent. the class i was in was horrific, I moved to the next and it was the same thing, the chefs were not helping and it was a shambles, I moved to the last of the three groups where things were going fine, but I could see I was not needed so pulled a chef to one side and explained I would be leaving as was sold a different experience to the one happening, he told me to go to the front desk for a refund but I said it was ok.

I then bumped into the manager of the culinary arts center who asked me why I was not in the class, I explained and she apologized and insisted I go to the front desk and have it removed from my bill.

I did this and was told they would need to get it confirmed first, I just looked at the same woman who I dealt with before and said "do you believe that I am lying again" she did not answer me. At this point I sat down with the manager and ranted about Laundry, Culinary arts and Rude Reception staff, I told him to take off my gratuities and I would tip the people who had made our cruise an enjoyable experience, I was then told that if I tipped this would have to be handed in by the staff and divided, I asked about gifts and he said staff were allowed to keep their own gifts, he mentioned the chefs and others I had no quarrels about and I said it would fall on the receptionists conscience.

We did tip cash to some people and done this before the end of the cruise, we also tipped boxes of chocolates, on the whole it was a great cruise but a few silly things stopped it from being the holiday of a lifetime.

Publication Date: 10/20/08