Carnival Sensation Cruise Review by Newbie_Cruiser_GA

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Sensation Cruise Review by Newbie_Cruiser_GA
Carnival Sensation
Cabin Category: 6B
Cabin Number: M69
Dining 5+

Sensational Sensation!!!
My husband and I (ages 43 and 38) needed to get away for a few days...ALONE!!! Since we only live 5 hours away from Pt. Canaveral, we drove down that morning. Embarkation was very simple and quick. We arrived about 11:45 and were on the ship by 12:30. This included parking, going through port authority, checking our luggage in with porters, and getting on the ship.

The first night was rough for me. I tried to wear the pressure point bracelets. They did work to a certain extent, but when we picked up speed, I became very queasy. I spent the first night in my room. My husband ordered some dramamine from room service and they delivered it quickly, but I was so queasy that it just made me sleep. Next time I will know to take the pills BEFORE I get on the ship. The room location was perfect. We heard no noise anytime during the cruise and we were in our room at different times of the day either napping or changing clothes or just watching a movie.

The next morning, I popped out of bed and was ready to go. The room was just right. I did not expect it to be as large as a hotel room and it wasn't. But it was still large enough for my husband and me. If I had more than 2 people in my room, I would have felt cramped. I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the bathroom. The shower was wonderful. So much water pressure and hot water. We brought an air freshener, but we really didn't need it. The bathroom never smelled. There was plenty of room to hide our suitcases in the closets and plenty of drawer space for my stuff. My husband is a typical male and keeps his shorts, T-shirts, etc. in the suitcase. Plenty of room to hang our formal wear and my dresses. The bed was so comfortable!!! I am usually disappointed by the mattress or the pillows and I was pleased by both. The comforter was soooooo comfy! I loved the towel animals that our steward, Chiron, left for us each night (except the 1st because I was occupying the bed :-)

The staff was wonderful. I have read other reviews where the staff was rude so I was on the lookout, but I have to say that they were so pleasant and were ready to please us any way they could. Most of the staff are made up of young people working for 6 to 9 months straight without a day off. I can't imagine how they keep so perky and friendly. My hat off to everyone on board.

We participated in the Bingo, the scavenger hunt, and lost a little money in the casino. My only complaint for the entire cruise is that the casino needed to have a non-smoking section. We do not smoke and can't stand the smell. It was very strong in the casino area and my hair smelled like smoke when we got back to the room. But I understand that people who smoke shouldn't be penalized when in the casino, I just think that they should have an area for smokers where non smokers don't have to inhale their smoke. It really stinks.

We also enjoyed the shows. What talent! The singers and dancers at the Curves show were awesome and the comedian Tia Thompson had me laughing so hard I was crying. She did an Aretha Franklin song/comedy show that was one of the funniest I've seen. We went back the next night after dinner and saw her "spicy" adult only show. I thought it was hilarious, but my husband did not. Oh well, different strokes...

I was not impressed with Nassau. The straw market (which is neither straw or market) should be renamed narrow aisle straw purse market. I did see some artwork being painted by a local artist and we bought a small piece to bring home. We were approached by a woman who put bracelets on us before we knew what she was doing and then proceeded to beg us for money for them. When I gave her $6.00, she said thank you and then asked how much was I going to give her for my husbands bracelet. I told her to get bent. She was very nervy and I didn't like that.

I did like the snorkel excursion on the Lady Savannah. It was a very clean boat. They sold fish food for $1 per bag and you got into the water after about a 30 minute boat ride through the channel. We saw Oprah Winfrey's 2 houses, Michael Jordan's house, and Barry Bond's house. There were also other's which I can't remember. Once we got there, we got to snorkel for about 1 hour before getting back into the double decker boat and heading back for the port. We shopped a little after, went to Senior Frogs for a quick picture, and walked back to the ship. Since we did the snorkel trip, if we go back on another cruise to Nassau, we will probably just stay on the ship and take advantage of the half price spa deals on board.

The food....Holy Cow!!! I was trying to explain it to my sister-in-law when we got back and all I could say was that it is like Ryan's steak house on steroids!!! All food all the time. We didn't find anything that we didn't like. And believe me, we tried everything. The buffet food was superb, the dinning room food was even better, and the creme de la creme was the CHOCOLATE MELTY CAKE. When I ordered in on formal night, my husband said he wanted just a bite. He ended up eating half of it!!! The next night he got his own. If you wanted to, you could eat 24/7 and still not sample everything on board. It is too good for words.

To sum up, we didn't know if we were "cruise people." After this wonderful, relaxing, fun-filled cruise, we can't wait to go back. We are already planning our next cruise with our family. I believe our next cruise will be a 5 day cruise to Mexico.

Publication Date: 10/20/08