Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by Jen: Enchanting First Cruise

Member Since 2000

Compare Prices on Enchantment of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Enchanting First Cruise

Sail Date: October 2008

Upon a suggestion from a friend I took my first cruise. My friend has only sailed Royal Caribbean so I gave it a chance! Overall, I was pleasantly surprised about the ship and mostly about the food quality and service on the Enchantment of the Seas.

DECOR Definitely dated in a mid-90s kind of way. The brass railings made it feel slightly cheap. Everyone in previous reviews complains that the ship looks worn. Well, this ship is probably 12 years old so what do you expect? The staff does a hell of a job keeping it clean, though.

CABINS We stayed in an inside stateroom #2575. Yes, the cabins are small but there is more than enough storage for your luggage, toiletries, and clothing. The beds were very comfortable and I was shocked that the sheets were so soft. I was expecting scratchy, low-thread count sheets but that wasn't the case. The only problem I had with the room was the bathroom. There was an overwhelming smell of urine and mold/mildew. I'm More not sure if this is a symptom of being on a lower floor or if all rooms are like this. The entire 2nd floor had the same smell. Next time I may go for a higher-up floor and see if there is a difference. I bought an air freshener in Key West and that seemed to help.

FOOD The Windjammer is a great option for a casual lunch. There was a frozen yogurt machine near the pool that was very popular. The main dining room experience was excellent. The food was delicious and the service unparalleled. We sat at a table with 3 Israeli couples who asked for olive oil and crushed red pepper the first evening. Each subsequent evening we sat down for dinner there was a bottle of olive oil and red pepper waiting on the table. Additionally, my friend asked for ginger ale the first night and the assistant waiter brought it to her without her even asking! One night my friend got sick and the head waiter (Mota) brought the food to our room. How cool is that? They really do go above and beyond the call of duty. And they smile and look like they are having fun. I became a fan of the late afternoon and late evening pizza offering at the Solarium (but I'm sure my waistline wasn't a fan).

ACTIVITIES I was psyched when I saw Name That Tune Disco Trivia because I am a music savant. Well, I won the game but I won a highlighter pen as a prize. huh? I played Bingo as well. The prizes for bingo were $500 one night and a 5-night cruise the other night. I guess they leave the great prizes for the games that generate revenue for the ship.

SPA Great spa. I did the Ionithermie procedure. I happen to use Elemis products and love them. Some people might find the spa offerings and products expensive if you don't regularly spa yourself but I found them to be reasonably priced.

ENTERTAINMENT I wasn't a fan of the cheesy lounge singers and dancers so I stayed clear of those shows. The comedian Carl Strong was pretty funny. "The Quest" is hilarious and probably the hardest I have laughed in a while. "Love and Marriage" is funny, too.

POOL I was shocked at the size of the pool I thought it would be much bigger. But it never seemed crowded. There were many poolside activities including a calypso band that was very good. The Belly Flop contest and Mr. Enchantment of the Seas got some good laughs. Paul the Cruise Director is hilarious and really knows how to get the crowd involved and laughing.

NIGHTLIFE The Viking Crown is a nice place to relax and have a drink. Speaking of the drinks, I always had a perfectly mixed drink at every bar on the ship. Never did I feel like they didn't have any alcohol in them.

PORTS I had been to Key West many times in the past so I knew where to go and what to do. Cozumel was disappointing (in terms of the town, compared to other places in Mexico like Puerto Vallarta, Cabo, Playa, etc). Belize was by far the worst. It was a dump. 1/3 of their population lives below the poverty line and so the culture is a hustling culture. All of of the port shopping is enclosed by a fence so they encourage you to stay inside the fence unless you are on a pre-arranged excursion.

FELLOW PASSENGERS I equate the clientele on this cruise as the same type of crowd that would go to Vegas. Probably more like the MGM Grand of the High Seas (vs. the Stratosphere of Carnival Cruises from what I hear). People were extremely friendly and fun and just wanted to have a good time.

OVERALL Would I sail Royal Caribbean again? Absolutely. Next time I will aim for a nicer and more modern ship in their fleet and stay on a higher floor with a balcony. The service was outstanding and I had a blast. Less

Read more Enchantment of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Enchantment of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Enchantment of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 2 2575

Small but plenty of storage space