Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by rocki1377

Norwegian Spirit
Norwegian Spirit
Member Name: rocki1377
Cruise Date: October 2008
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Cruise to Nowhere
Cabin Category: ba
See More About: Norwegian Spirit Cruise Reviews | Cruise to Nowhere Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Service Not Rated

1 night cruise...difference between cabin & suites
I wrote a review of the spirit based on staying in a butler/concierge suite for an Eastern Caribbean itinerary. If you read that review you could see my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and that is why we booked the one night cruise on the spirit sailing on 10/11/08. The one night cruise was a fun little getaway however there was a huge difference between the two sailings.

That was pretty organized and smooth. The wait to get on the boat was not bad either. The only thing about this embarkation was that because we were not on a suite this time we were not the first ones on the boat (which is a perk if you have a suite). However my husband and I were on the boat pretty early. I would make to suggest to those who do a one night cruise that if you plan on having dinner at a specialty restaurant that night the first thing that you should do when you board the boat is head straight to the restaurant reservations desk. My husband and I made a reservation for Cagney's that night as soon as we entered the boat (which was about 12:00 pm) and were able to easily make that reservation. By 3:00 pm we heard the specialty restaurants were all booked except for the asian restaurant.

Things to do on the ship

I have to say that because this is a one night cruise most people were trying to cram every and all activities in that one night. Again if you plan to do anything that requires a reservation I suggest you do so when you first board. My husband and I attempted to make a reservation for a massage in the spa (we tried at about 4:45 pm) and was told everything was booked already except for a few time slots after 9:00 pm.

When the duty free shops opened at 5 pm it was like they were giving things away. There were already lines outside the doors of the shops at 4:45 pm to get inside the stores. Because there was no limit as to how much alcohol, tobacco products, jewelry, and other duty free items, many people went crazy scarfing things up. It was like every man or woman for themselves and there were people actually pushing to get to the head of the line first. That was not cool. I have to say that during our eastern caribbean cruise the feel was more laid back. On the one night cruise it was very frenzied. It also seemed like there were people who were trying to win a "who can drink the most alcohol in one night" contest. My husband and I woke up early to beat the crowds for breakfast and saw many people still stumbling around and still drinking alcohol.

There were activities scheduled for a one night cruise such as bingo and there were a few shows scheduled for that night as well. The casino opened at about 6 pm and became very packed very quickly.

Staff

I was amazed as to how many crew members remembered my husband and I from the cruise in August. That just shows how attentive and personable the crew members are on the spirit. Many of the crew members walked up to us throughout the night and welcomed us back on board and chatted with us for a few minutes. It was like...coming home to family.... and we greatly appreciated it! We had asked that a refrigerator be placed in our cabin and an hour later our request was fulfilled. Again the staff on the spirit really does go above and beyond even if you are not booked in one of the suites. Sadly the spirit is not going to be back to NY for a while and we will miss our friends on the spirit!

All and all it was a great little getaway and we will definitely do another one very soon!

Publication Date: 10/14/08