Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by cot427: Liberty o the Seas Rocks!

cot427
Member Since 2007
2,920 Posts

Family & Children 3.5

Compare Prices on Liberty of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Liberty o the Seas Rocks!

Sail Date: October 2008

Captain: Charles Teige CD: James Andrew LA/Future Sales: Colleen Lacharity Our Waiters: Patricio and Ricardo (Head Waiter: Carlos) Thumbs up to: Martin - Bartender in On Air Club & Carlos - Bartender in Sorrento's Best Staff Member: Hector Zepeda (CD STAFF)

Food: The Food on the Liberty was so far the best I've had in all of my cruises. It always came to us hot and it tasted great. Compared to Freedom last year, it was 10 times better. I especially say a difference in the Windjammer food between Liberty and Freedom. Liberty's was much better ran and food was always there, hot, and yummy.

Staff: I believe this is the best staffed ship that I have been on yet. The bartenders were always great and always filled up your coke in a hurry, unlike Freedom who seemed a little tired of the coke card thing. Our waiters were 100% better than last year on the Freedom. We had Patricio and Ricardo, deck 5 Botticelli Dining Room overlooking the main More dining area. Our dining experience this time was the best. Our head waiter was awesome too because we requested a big table for 13, and we ended up with 2 little tables, so when we went to dinner the first night, he put them together for the rest of the cruise. We also requested grand mariner soufflE one additional time, and we got it, so he was great. And we always saw him working, breakfast, lunch, and dinner, unlike any other head waiters I saw in previous cruises.

Staff at Johnny Rockets, Sorrento's, Cafe Promenade, all of the bars and theaters was also awesome. They went out of there way to get you what you wanted or help you with anything. Windjammer staff was also very attentive, always cleaning your table or getting your drinks. Pool Bar was great as well.

The Cruise Director's staff was the best ever. James Andrew was great and very funny, but comes in 2nd to Richard Spacey. BUT, his staff was great. His assistant Phil was awesome. We had him on Mariner and he was great. He did stuff alongside James, he did Bingo, the dancing in the street, quest, 80s dancing, and more. Also, people like Ken Jones, Zolda, and Cat were also very nice and awesome.

BUT, the best person onboard the ship was Hector. Hector did it all as well. We met him during trivia in Labadee and got to know him the rest of the cruise. He also did dancing in the street, quest, 80s dancing, karaoke, pool activities, rock wall the last day, and taught us how to salsa the last night. He is awesome.

Shows: Were not as good was Freedom or previous cruises. Welcome aboard show and farewell show was very good. Productions show Somewhere in Time was absolutely horrible. It did not make sense, the costumes and scenery did not match, and the main 2 singers were not good. Ever After musical was better, on par with other cruises. It was about fairy tales and the two different singers were good. We had an impressionist Paul Boland who was very good and then a unique show about music and visuals with El Gaucho, who was okay, but not great.

Room: We had 5 interior rooms deck 6 portside aft, and they were great. Our room attendant Levi, was not real personable, but said hi in the hallway and kept the room fantastically clean. Again, Liberty wins over Freedom, and least ours did.

DAY 1 - MIAMI: It was a little rainy, but check-in was a breeze, just as was Freedom last year. We got on in about 30 minutes and went to lunch in the Windjammer. Then, it cleared up a bit and we went to the H2O zone and then watched sail-a-way. After my mom and my aunt made spa appointments (I showed them how to get there) it was dinnertime and as I said, fabulous. After dinner was the welcome show and CD James had comedian Carlos Oscar and juggler Steve Carte. Carlos was hilarious. He also did the late night adult comedy later in the cruise. Steve was also a good juggler, but also very funny. He used the audiences as well in it. After that we walked around in the Promenade and watched the Soca-Licious Parade in the Royal Promenade, which was very good. After that we walked around a little longer and finally went to bed.

DAY 2 - AT SEA: After eating in the Windjammer today, I spent the majority of my day by the pool. I even fell asleep once or twice. The weather was great today, about 88 degrees. We watched the men's belly-flop competition and the sexy leg competition. We also went to Bingo today, but unfortunately lost and then it was formal dinner. We took formal pictures and then went to dinner. As usual, it was awesome. After that, we did some karaoke and watched the Steelers Game a little bit. Then went to Somewhere in Time production show, which as I said, was horrible. (Read above) After the show, we went back down to the On Air Club and watched the rest of the Steelers Game, and then watched Karaoke for the rest of the night.

DAY 3 - LABADEE: Great weather again today, it was around 90. We went to the dining room for breakfast since we didn't want to rush off. Around 10 we got off and went over to the back beach under the zipline, big mistake. A little later, we found out the water was not as clear and it was VERY VERY rocky there. The front beaches facing the ship were very nice and clear, and no rocks, especially Columbus Beach. We shopped in the market and I got a few things and while some from our group ate lunch over there, I stayed at the beach and waited to get some Pizza on the ship. When we headed over to the ship, it seemed deserted around 2. Anyways, we went to trivia at 3 and met Hector. Trivia was always fun with him. Later on, we got dressed for dinner and then it was headliner show with singer/impressionist Paul Boland. He was very good, but we have seen him before on a different ship, can't remember which though. After the show it was 70's dancing in the street with James and Phil and Hector and all the CD staff. It was very very fun. This night was also late night comedy with Carlos Oscar at 12:15.

DAY 4 - MONTEGO BAY: It was a nice day, and we ate in the main dining room, but debarking was late. We were suppose to get off at 10:3o, but didn't get off til 11 (that's when it started). We booked a tour through the ship called Negril Express and Shopping. It was 1.5 hour ride to Negril from Montego Bay and it was worth it because the guide was fantastic. We really got to see the real Jamaica. The beach at Negril was awesome. Probably one of the best beaches I've been too. I went parasailing and jetski there, it was $80 for both, and I got 45 minutes on the jetski and 10 minutes in the sky in parasail. The place where the beach was, was called Margaritaville in Negril and it was nice. After that, we went shopping a little and returned to the ship at 5:30, which was the time we were suppose to be on, so we made it. That night was good dinner and then ice show for main seating guests. It was a great ice show, slow at first, but really picked up when the guest star Marina Karamycheva started hula-hooping and stuff. She was great as well as the whole staff. After the ice show was Love and Marriage game show, and it was hilarious, but the middle and old couples could have been better picked.

After the show was surf buffet under the stars. They had it in the Solarium, not the main pool area (like freedom last year), and it was great. Great food and desserts, and you got to chocolate your own fruit. YUMMY! Then, in the main pool area was dancing under the stars and we saw Hector there, and danced around a bit. After that it was bedtime after a very late night.

DAY 5 - GRAND CAYMAN: We ate in the dining room one last time for breakfast and then headed over on the tender to Grand Cayman. Upon arrival to the pier, we wanted to see some things and maybe go to the beach, so we got a 20 dollar tour from some private lady. There were 5 of us and the 7 others for a total of 12 in her van. It was a little tight, but what do you expect. Finally, we got to the governor's mansion, but we just rode by. We then went to the Turtle Farm but you had to pay 10 dollars to go in so she showed us a spot where we could see them for free. After this was the tortuga rum factory and it was a little hut like thing and there were a million people there. You couldn't get in or out and get any samples, so we didn't buy anything. After that was 'hell' which was okay, but nothing special. I do wanna say that this lady was horrible. She didn't say anything extra about the island, and she was always in a hurry. She put 10-15 minute timeline on everything so it was a total rush. The whole time in the car as well she was fighting with a friend of hers on her cell phone. At the end, you could opt to go to 7 Mile Beach so we got out of the van, and got right back on before she left because it wasn't nice, and besides, the sun wasn't out, it was overcast a lot that afternoon. We shopped in town for a bit, under Margaritaville and found a place where you buy a liter of liquor, and get a free large rum cake.

Back on the ship, we ate at Johnny Rocket's for lunch. I love there fries and onion rings, and definitely their shakes, but I do not like their hamburgers at all. After that we stayed around the pool for a bit and my aunts played bingo while I did the AMAZING RACE across the ship with 3 other people. During that you had to do things like rock wall, surf, golf, etc and run all the way across the ship. We also went to the Future Cruise consultant this day to book a cruise. Definitely make an appointment for her. Dinner was formal tonight, so we got dressed up and took some more pictures. After dinner we went to the show, El Gaucho. He was a unique show of interactive comedy, musical, and visual effects. He was okay, but not great. After that, we went to the LIAR's CLUB. I've never heard of that on previous cruises, but I'm glad we went to it. It was hilarious. They took 3 people from the CD staff, and put them into character of a different person. One was a Frenchman, one was a beauty model/world traveler, and one was a janitor. Each person had to say a definition of a word and you had to guess who was telling the truth, and which of the other 2 were lying. All of the audience members got paper to right it, and you got a prize at the end. After this, we went to find Hector in the karaoke bar and watched karaoke the rest of the night.

DAY 6 - COZUMEL: We ate a late breakfast and then went off to Cozumel downtown. Originally, we were just going to shop in town, but our taxi driver offered us a tour for 90 for 5 people for all day, downtown, tour around the island, and beach. After town (a lot of the jewelers were closed because of Yom Kipper) we went on the island tour and shopped at those little places and say a lot of the island. Then, we went to Mr. Sanchos beach and it was nice. It was a free beach, crystal clear water, and had a pool, shopping flea market, and restaurant. After that, we shopped at the pier, where actually we found the best prices. This was the international pier where Liberty was docked.

On the ship, we went for a snack in Sorrento's and then walked around the ship a little bit. After that we went to dinner, good as usual, and then went to the Ever After Production Show, which was better than the first, any pretty much on par with other shows. After the production show we did karaoke in the private booths (we did that everyday) and then went to Quest. It was hilarious, definitely cannot miss it. And we weren't the only kids in it, there were other kids and the staff didn't seem to mind because it wasn't that raunchy. And then directly after in the studio B was Studio 84', where it was an 80's dance party for about an hour. That lasted til about 12:30, and then went to get a snack in the promenade and went to bed.

DAY 7 - AT SEA: I slept in this day because I was exhausted from the last night. After breakfast in the windjammer on my own, I went to the pool area, but it was packed. So we found seats in the H2O zone and I went on the Flowrider that morning. After that, I found that there was this huge Culinary Showcase in the Royal Promenade and it was really good, but very crowded. After that, more pool and then lunch in the windjammer and after that I went to watch pool volleyball with others, and then we went to Flowrider again and did that. After Flowrider we found Hector who was at the ice carving at the pool, and then followed him to the rock wall. He was doing the rock wall even though he wasn't on the sports staff, so we did rock wall, and then stayed there about 2 hours after and talked to him, but man it was really hot that day.

After that, it was the 2nd parade, the pirate AAARRRGGH Parade and that was very good, nice for kids. Then we went to our very last dinner, which was very depressing and then we went to learn how to Salsa from Hector in Boleros. It was very fun and I actually know how to salsa know (I think). Then it was the farewell show. They showed part of the Cruise in Review DVD and we saw all of us on there, and then there was Steve Carte again, the juggler from the first night. After him was James Connolly, who was a comedian and he was okay, but not as good as Carlos Oscar. After that, we had to say goodbye to Hector, which was very very sad. All of the CD staff was at the end and he was the last one to leave because so many people liked him.

After that, we walked around the promenade and got some drinks and said goodbye to our favorite bartender Carlos in Sorrento's. After that I went to bed, and then it was the worst day ever.

DAY 8 - MIAMI AGAIN: It was a very depressing day waking up. We woke up at 6 and went to the windjammer at 6:30 and we were gray tags, leaving at 7:30. Debarkation was very very smooth, way better than the FREEDOM. It was a disaster debarking freedom, but liberty was smooth. We got off, then went to get our luggage and customs was a breeze because all you did was hand them your paper, not wait there for minutes for them to slide our passport and stuff. After that, we called our limo service and they were there already, even though they were suppose to be there at 9:30, they were there early. I definitely recommend Quality Limo Service. Less

Read more Liberty of the Seas cruise reviews >>