Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by piekalo

Cruise Date: September 2008
Embarkation: Civitavecchia
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: 8c
See More About: Carnival Splendor Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Shore Excursions 5+

Anniversary Cruise
We and another couple chose the 9/23 sailing of the Splendor to celebrate our wedding anniversaries. (It was our 25th & their 30th.)

The ship - I must say that there was too much pink. As others have said, very "Miami Beach" / "Art Deco" and I will add - "PeptoBismal". As overwhelming as it was on the first day, it became less offensive as time went on. The retractable roof on the Lido deck was a brilliant idea.

Our room - We had a balcony room 9269(Lido Deck), very near the atrium elevators. The room was spacious and storage was plentiful. Three closets (two for hanging - with wooden hangers and one with adjustable shelving). Two large drawers under the couch, five drawers in the desk/dresser, one shelving unit with door (contained safe) and one open shelving. Luggage stowed under the bed nicely. Only two outlets in room (one American, one European). We brought a power strip and it was a life saver. Some sound bleeding from the Lido deck at night, but not too bad. I would suggest a room a few doors down (toward back of ship) if you are going to be on the Lido Deck. I heard another guest complain of the sound bleed from the disco in his room (he was right below it), so location is important. There is shampoo & shower gel, but no conditioner, so bring your own. You had to hold the button on the hair dryer to make it work (they do that so you can't leave it on) and that was a bit awkward.

The spa - My husband bought the $199 full cruise pass to access the whirlpool, sauna, & steam room. We might have been better off buying individual day $35 passes. My advice is to not book spa appointments the first day. As the cruise progressed, they offered specials that were good deals. I booked two separate appointments and I was a bit disappointed. They were overpriced (as expected), but the spa didn't engage in what I would consider to be "high end" practices. For example, no one kept their voice volume to a minimum. There's no soundproofing between the rooms. (I clearly overheard another client's consultation in the room next to me.) And There's a very thin curtain between the treatment room windows to the outside deck - where people were out on deck chairs. The first problem was that it did not block the light, and second, it did not afford the necessary privacy.

The food - Very good and plentiful, but I do agree that there was slim-pickings in the late afternoon.

The staff - Restaurant & housekeeping was good. One irritation was that the tables on the Lido deck were not bussed quickly (sat dirty for > 1 hr) in the late afternoon.

The activities - I would say that >75% of the passengers were > 50. The cruise director announced that there were only 19 kids on the ship and < 25 honeymoon couples. I know Carnival is the "fun ship" line, but why plan deck parties at 10:30 pm with that cruise demographic? I don't mean to sound like a "fuddy-duddy" - I'm only 49 ;-) - but these parties were clearly not well attended. The live music on the ship was very good - a wide variety of types. The shows were typical cruise ship fare. I'm very surprised by the other post about the "Dick Little" running joke by the cruise director - he did that on our cruise too! Also the woman gettinging overly aggressive and tackling him during the "improvisation". Hmmmm.

The ports & excursions - FANTASTIC! The port excursion talks were very useful and I would recommend attending.

Getting on/Getting off - Both went very smoothly. I liked the option of handling your own luggage so you did not have to leave it out the night before.

Overall experience - I know most of what I wrote sounds negative, but I just wanted to point out the few areas of disappointment or things Carnival can improve on, but overall our vacation was very, very good!

Publication Date: 10/12/08