Carnival Glory Cruise Review by luv2cruise: Third Time On Glory

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Third Time On Glory

Sail Date: October 2008
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

I traveled with DH (we are in our 40's), brother and sister in law (also 40's), and our parents. We are from Tennessee, and this was mine and my parents' third time on the Glory. The night before...we drove to Port Canaveral and stayed at the Quality Inn. We got a suite for about $120 - included 1 bedroom, separate living room with pull out sofa, and 1 large bath. Perfect for four of us (brother and sister in law were staying elsewhere).

Saturday morning, we were told to drive to the Radisson Hotel where they would provide free parking during our cruise plus free shuttle service to the port. This is included in the price of the room at Quality Inn. However, Quality cannot make shuttle reservations for you at Radisson, so you go to the hotel and get on a waiting list. My advice is to call Radisson that Friday night and make your shuttle time reservation. They also provide free shuttle back to Radisson to your vehicle after the cruise. Even though we didn't have a shuttle More time reservation, we arrived at Radisson at 10:30 and were on a bus by 11:30. They also deliver guests to the Disney ship. They have a lovely atrium for waiting, so it was no big deal.

Once at the port, we were dropped off with our luggage and promptly went through the lines. We were onboard within about 30 minutes. NOTE...okay, sneaking alcohol is not allowed, blah blah blah. Yes, it is clear and we put it in a water bottle, but these highly trained government officials have been trained with eagle eyes to evaluate the characteristics of bubbles in the bottle, thus concluding that it is not water. Our tax dollars at work. haha. Don't carry it in your carry on. Had to wave bye bye to the Peach Schnapps as we boarded. However, OTHER people who brought it in their suitcases had no problem. But make sure it's in a plastic bottle, as they beat the heck out of your suitcases loading and unloading.

Once onboard, the big doors to the rooms were closed, but we went right in. Room was almost ready, and we were able to ditch our carry-ons and head to the Red Sail Buffet. I Don't know if Glory has a new chef or has revamped the menus, but the food all week was awesome. I'm used to the same old stuff on Carnival ships, and while they still serve the favorites, they have "kicked it up a notch" on some of their stuff...even on the buffet. (Emeril, perhaps?) We didn't do the supper club, fish and chips was great, the deli station has expanded their menu and so has the chinese station. Pizza place now has caesar salads with garlic bread, but the pizza is a bit Degornio for us. The grill was incredible...now you can get NACHOS with all the trimmings, big juicy hot dogs, plus fries, chicken strips, onion rings and the regular hamburgers and cheeseburgers. The grill in the back of the ship offers grilled chicken breast and steak and cheese sandwiches. Can I get an amen!

For some reason, this is the VERY FIRST CRUISE that we have not had to hunt down deck chairs. 90% of the time you could find at least two or three together right at the pool. Not a lot of sun worshippers on this trip, and the Glory has really expanded the number of activities and such to give guests more to do than hang out by the pool. If you want really GREAT chairs, go to deck 10 by the Emerald Restaurant. The intake air vents are there and it stays cool all the time! All the kids clubs must have been great, I'm not sure I saw a child more than 10 seconds each time I was out. And the ones we did see were very well mannered and behaved beautifully. Kudos to the parents!

Excursions: Cozumel is Cozumel is Cozumel. Never changes. Why we even get off at this port is beyond me. Very pushy people, mall-like setting, very high prices. Many stores are recommended by the Carnival Line, but they get a cut off everything you purchase there. Of course they are going to recommend them. Honduras...best port EVER! Get off the ship, look for the sign that says VICTOR BOWDEN (not sure on the last name) tours. You will recognize the name Victor. He runs about 20-30 tour vans, and his guides are great. The best is BEN, he took us on a full tour of the island, including visiting the shipwrecks there, shopping, played with monkeys, and went swimming...all for $25 per person. He never leaves your sight. I cannot recommend this excursion enough. Remember, ask for BEN! All of the guides speak english very well, so you will know everything about the Honduras when the trip is over. Okay, monkeys are creepy, but I did have a couple climb over my head and around my neck. Cute!! Belize...it rained, so we tendered in (about 15 minutes each way) and did a little shopping. FREEPORT, BAHAMAS, commonly known as the armpit of the Caribbean, they have really cleaned up the place and have finally become to realize that a majority of their income depends on tourists. Cab ride takes you downtown, shopping on the left, free beach on the right. Beautiful place, but again prices still high.

On ship...Casino seems to be better on this ship than before (suggest "Lucky Lemmings") and penny machines. $5.00 will keep you busy for hours. The shops also seemed to offer better merchandise at better prices, larger selection of purses and perfumes, smaller selection on costume jewelry. T-shirts on the last day are 2 for $20, and they are really nice ones. If you're looking for larger sizes, they Don't usually put them out until this day. Staff was very nice, although they Don't speak very good English. Main shows were awful, but they did have a couple of really funny comedians. Otherwise, same old Marriage game, liar's club, hairy man contest, trivia, etc. Dining wait staff was great, but sometimes got confused on orders, understandable. Room steward was "John", and he seemed very helpful. Getting off the ship....with VIP tags we were told to go to deck 3 and wait to be called. We were the second group off the ship, and a baggage person got our suitcases and let us to the area where the shuttle from Radisson would be. As soon as we got there, we saw the shuttle enter the parking lot. We were on our way to the hotel by 7:35 a.m. How smooth is that? We got to our flight in plenty of time! Now for the bad part, although any day at sea is better than a day at work. This is not just my opinion, but the opinion shared by MOST people who had an inside cabin (we were on deck 10, and I thought the problem was just on our deck, but no!). The A/C in the inside cabins is the worst I have seen anywhere. I doubt that our cabin ever got below 76 degrees. It was unbearable. My mom had loaned me a portable fan that used AA batteries, and I spent $35 during the week on batteries to keep it running just so we could sleep. If you can't sleep when it's hot, please talk to your travel agent before booking and for a backup, please take a fan (I recommend electric, as batteries get expensive). Bad part #2. Cruise director. I have been on many cruises, and I've never seen anything like him. He even had people in the audience daily screaming at him to talk slower. I think his name was Brad, but who could tell. His announcements on the ship made you cover your ears! He is loud, fidgety, and you can't understand a word he says. If you're not a nervous wreck when you go into one of his shows, you sure will be when you leave. That guy needs to CALM DOWN!!!!! that's all I can think of now, as I have traveled all day to get home. Just wanted to do this while it was fresh on my mind. Enjoy your cruise! Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Interior Panorama 1036

No A/C....that''s how Carnival came up with the slogan "Hot, hot hot!"