Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by TrumpetKO

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by TrumpetKO
Majesty of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
Member Name: TrumpetKO
Cruise Date: October 2008
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: JS

Majesty - Sail her while you still can!
Thursday - Travel Day We left our house for Logan Airport at 11:45am. We flew out of Boston to Ft. Lauderdale Direct. We boarded the plane on time at 3:15pm but then sat at the gate for three hours as they fixed a fuel filter. You've got to love Delta. We arrived into Ft Lauderdale at 9:30pm and picked up our rental car - we were late so Avis had taken our reservation down off the preferred board and gave us completely the wrong car, another 20 minutes to straighten that out. It was now too late to go to Bayside Market and have shrimp at Bubba Gumps so we went straight to our hotel, The Marriott Courtyard - What used to be known as the Cadillac Hotel - Right at the top (North End) of South Beach (Miami) in the Art Deco area. It is a Beautiful hotel - Tiny Room but very comfy bed. There was a Carraba's in the hotel and it was open so we went down to grab late dinner (10:30) of Crabcakes and Pizza. We headed up to bed to pass out and get ready for our exciting adventure on Majesty of the Seas.

Friday - Embarkation Majesty of the Seas Up at 8:00ish. Packed up our bags and went downstairs for breakfast. The breakfast buffet at the Courtyard was good. We then grabbed our stuff from the room and headed out @ 10:00. We dropped the rental car off at Avis Miami Downtown (About 5 blocks from Port of Miami) and took a cab ($15) to POM RCI Cruise Terminal @ 10:45. Majesty was the very first cruise ship I ever sailed on back in 2001, but after sailing ships like Explorer and Liberty, She looked tiny. As we walked up to the ship I pointed out our balcony room to my wife who almost had a heart attack when she realized that I had upgraded us from a porthole on deck 5 to a Junior Suite with a balcony on Deck 10 - My Evil Plan was working. Deck 10 was the only deck with balconies and the smallest balcony room is the Junior Suite. Our Room was a Junior Suite so we got priority embarkation which was to say we got checked in quick but then had to wait in line for 30 minutes to get our pictures for our Sea Pass and actually board the ship. It was 11:30 when we actually boarded her. We signed up for the Coke Cards Immediately.

I remembered what Majesty was like back in 2001 and I had heard folks saying the she was showing her age and was out of date with the fleet and was small but I was pleasantly surprised. She looked great for a lady approaching 20. It was obvious that they had changed just about everything when she was refurbished a couple of years ago. The Johnny Rockets was bigger than on the voyager or freedom class ships. The new Sorrento's was nice and they had the new Deli which seemed to have a good menu. This is all in what used to be the upper level of the Windjammer.

We ate lunch in the Windjammer and waited for 1:00 when we could get into our room. Lunch was Mexican and a carving station with roast beef. We shared a Pina Colada and ate. At about 12:50 we walked down one deck to see our room, we had to wait about 5 minutes for them to open the fire doors to access the cabins. Our Room, Room 1070, is Starboard Aft. The room was very nice and even had a bathtub! Clarence was our room steward. Upon Entering the room, surprise #2 was waiting for my blushing bride, the evil plan now completed. There was a beautiful arrangement of flowers on the Coffee table, Two Royal Caribbean Robes, a fresh plate of chocolate covered strawberries and an iced down bucket with a bottle of Champagne. This was all part of the Grand Romance package. I had to use the shock paddles but after I got Marcy's heart pumping again she proclaimed her excitement about the room the package and how excited she was to be away alone for the weekend - It was all worth it!

Muster Drill was 4:30 on the button and done by 4:45. We headed up to the Pool area for sail away to meet our Cruise Critic Friends - Everyone was to wear lei's and meet near the pool bar, but we never did find any of the CC folks. Sail away was nice and we headed back down to our room to dress for dinner (We had our luggage by 3:00). We had the early seating at 6:00 in the 4th floor Starlight dining room. We were seated at a table for 4, Table # 20. We had another couple join us, Cindy and Fernando who live in Miami. Cindy is Brazilian and Fernando is Mexican. Our Waiter was Zukiswa (Zuki) from South Africa and our Assistant Waiter was Edgar from Peru. It was Italian night and the food was excellent. I couldn't choose so I went with two dinners, the Lamb and the Chicken Marsala. Both were incredible. Marcy had the Angus Steak. Deserts were excellent. The opening show was "Fountains" We found out later that some personal was changed so the normal opening night show was scrapped. "Fountains" was only about 15 minutes and cooked up by the Cruise Director, but it was a riot. The cruise director, Ricky from Jamaica, was in it with various other staff from the ship. Let's just say it was adult humor and everyone on stage got wet. We shopped, and headed back to the room to enjoy the balcony. We ordered late room service for a snack and went to bed.

Saturday - Coco Cay Bahamas We woke up already moored near Coco Cay. We had ordered room service for breakfast so we ate out on our balcony and enjoyed the incredible view. We had Parasailing scheduled for 11:00 so @ 9:30 we headed down to the tender and went over to Coco Cay. (Actual name of the Island is Little Stirrup Cay by the way, Coco Cay is Just RCI's name for it). We wandered around a bit and found a couple of beach lounges and read our books in the sun until it was time to parasail. Parasailing was breathtaking. My wife had never done it before and was just in awe the whole time. It was a lot of fun and a great experience with Majesty of the Seas as our backdrop; we were up higher than the top of the ship. The two guys running the parasailing boat were excellent. I would recommend this to anyone.

We got back to shore and it was time for the barbecue lunch. The food was good and plenty of it. There was hot dogs, burgers chicken, and ribs plus baked beans, Mac & Cheese, Corn on the Cob and various salads, fruit and deserts. After lunch, Marcy found a place to read and get a tan while I went on the Waverunner tour.

I was the lead ski on the tour and had a blast driving the craft at full speed. The water was fairly smooth and it was a great ride. We made a total of 4 stops along the way and learned about the local history of the islands. One of the islands had been a haven for drug smugglers in the 1980's complete with Mansions and a private Airstrip. Once a pilot crashed in bad weather in a plane full of drugs and had sent out a mayday to the Coast Guard. The coast Guard inspected the island and between them and the Bahamian Government the houses and airstrip were destroyed. The island is now uninhabited. The water is very shallow so we stopped at one point to swim and catch Starfish. I caught a huge starfish that was passed around to the group before being thrown back in. Then it was full speed ahead back to the docks at Coco Cay. By the time I got back my wife had had enough sun and it was time to head back to the ship. We each got a Coco Loco and headed for the tender. We took the next tender and headed back to our cabin to shower up and relax until dinner. Tonight is formal night so after a bit of pre-dinner shopping and an Ice Cream cone by the pool, it was time to get dressed. At 5:00 there was a knock on our stateroom door, it was room service bringing Appetizers as part of our Romance Package. I jumped into my suit and Marcy was a knockout in her back and white dinner gown. Our table mates didn't make it to dinner that night. We later found out that they were late arriving and had been turned away. We had the Filet for dinner which was outstanding. My wife had two shrimp cocktails for appetizers before dinner, and liked it so much she had another one for desert.

We headed up to the room to change back into regular clothes and found a new plate of after dinner treats in our room. We went to get a drink at the Schooner Bar before the show. The show was a comedian. This guy was a riot. We had a great time at the show. After the show we shopped in the Centrum and then went up to Johnny Rockets for a snack. When we decided we were stuffed, we headed back up to our room. The midnight buffet was tonight but we were tired and not the least bit hungry so we just went to bed.

Sunday - Nassau Bahamas Part of the romance package gave us a romantic breakfast for two in our stateroom (different from the regular room service offering). We had the French Toast and it was awesome. We ate on the balcony overlooking Paradise Island.

Our tour (Yellowbird Boat Tour)was cancelled due to lack of interest. What to do in Nassau with no tour? Shop, ugh! We spoke to the ships shopping girl before we got off and picked up all the coupons and raffle tickets for places in Nassau. We didn't win the raffle at Diamonds International but My wife had taken a particular interest in a watch. She had heard about the Phillip Stein and its supposed healing properties on "Oprah". She tried one on and said she felt an instant calming. The watch was expensive and DI wouldn't give us a deal so we went on to the next raffle at Venetian Jewelers. There Marcy found the same watch. They made us a deal on it and we bought it. Then my name was drawn from the raffle and we won the $500 5ct midnight Sapphire, plus they gave us two (We had a coupon for one) 1ct midnight sapphires so we actually have three. These will make a nice ring someday. We also stopped at Del Sol for presents for the kids and at Burger King for a snack. We headed back to the ship to drop off our stuff and headed back out again to see Atlantis. We decided on the water taxi. Now the water Taxi is $3pp but it only goes on the half hour. A Taxi is only $4pp and it goes whenever you want. We waited nearly 30 minutes for the water Taxi to leave. By the time we got to Atlantis we had about enough time to grab lunch take a few pictures and head back to the ship. We Enjoyed Atlantis but would like to see a lot more of it. (The Ruins, The Shark Reef Etc...)

We headed back to the room to relax and change. At 5:00 Room service delivered a plate of Snacks again. Dinner was Seafood Night, and our table mates were back. I had the NY Strip and my wife had the Shrimp Risotto. She also had two Shrimp cocktails to start, I had Onion Soup and there was Cesar Salad for the table. With a slice of Key Lime Pie and the Banana Nut Parfait for Desert, dinner once again was excellent. We headed back to the room to change and headed down to check out the shopping on the Centrum and then to go to the farewell show. The Farewell show was very well done. It was called "Signed Sealed Delivered" and they did an excellent job. With that it was time to head back to the room and pack. Hard to believe it was over so soon. We had our luggage out by Midnight and got to sleep.

Monday - Travel Day We got up at 6:15 to get ready to disembark for the last time. We finished packing up and went down to the Moonlight dinning room for breakfast. After breakfast we got in line to get off the ship, we were in one of the first groups to be called. We were off the ship by about 8:00 and took a cab to the airport. We arrived to Miami Airport by 8:30 and checked in for our 12:30 flight home. We arrived on time in Boston at 6:30PM and were back home by 8:00.

Publication Date: 10/09/08