Norwegian Star Cruise Review by Sinintha: blah, blah, blah

blah, blah, blah

Sail Date: September 2008
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

Our first NCL cruise and last! We are veteran cruisers but will not cruise again with NCL!!

Embarkation was relatively easy. The only problem was the lady checking us in, she was new and could not answer any of our questions. It took her an extremely long time to check us in. My mother who has asthma was required to wait in line, standing, while we were checked in, it took us telling three or four different people, that she would need assistance boarding the ship before we were able to get someone to put her in a wheelchair to board.

Once on board we were shuffled to The Market Cafe for lunch. The food here was not good at all. Not appealing in any way. We were hoping that this was due to the first day on the ship and that it would get better. We wrong!! The food at The Market Cafe the same, monotonous thing each and every day. The only upside to this, I lost eight pounds because I ate so much fruit as it was the only good thing on the buffet the whole week. More

We did order room service, online NCL promotes: "If you can't come to the restaurant we'll bring the restaurant to you. We offer a menu of items, which can be prepared and brought to your stateroom. Room Service is available 24-hours a day." The problem with this is the portions were ridicules We ordered the melon plate for breakfast and received melon carpaccio. If I had depended on the melon and coffee for breakfast, we would have starved.

We did eat at The Blue Lagoon, it did have good buffalo wings, hamburgers but the service was bad. It seemed that we were a pain for them to wait on us. The other food there was sub-standard and after the first time, we never went back. We paid the twenty dollar cover for Cagney's, the food was good but not worth the extra, seemed about as good as Celebrity's regular dining room. In the dining guide in our room, we saw the Endless summer, we called to make reservations as this was one of the free restaurants. I was told that as of this cruise, there was now a cover/up charge.

House Keeping in our room-stunk! Only had towel animals two times in seven nights and the bed kept separating every night. We asked for the fruit bowl and got it once, two days later. We had late dinner reservations one night, our room steward came and knocked at eight, told us he could do our room right now but he was off at nine and if he didn't do it right then, we would have to forgo getting it turned down for that night.

I was not happy to have the tipping option taken away from me. I would not have tipped our room steward as well as I'm sure as he was.

We have sailed many times before, never had trouble. It was a mere relief to be off the ship. I will never do NCL again. I hate the ‘freestyle’ way of life. It was a big disappointment to know we spent a lot of money for a cruise and it was bad. I was trying to impress my mom on how much fun cruising could be, needless to say she was not, impressed that is. Less

Read more Norwegian Star cruise reviews >>