Carnival Victory Cruise Review by morgans1127: 1st timers
Member Since 2008
Compare Prices on Carnival Victory Canada & New England Cruises
traveling with: mom (49), dad (56), husband (26), and myself (26) (all first time cruising)
we had a lot of difficulty packing for this trip because the weather reports were so varied.
we flew from ATL to NYC with some delays due to fog but not too bad. we paid for carnival's pre and post transportation which helped everything run very smoothly. learned that you shouldn't be one of the first for the lifeboat drill as it was very hot and uncomfortable.
Pros: 1. my parents sprung for the balcony room and ours was across the hall so we got the best of both worlds. our room was sooooo dark and great for sleeping!! their room was great for sunrises and relaxing if you could stand the wind on the balcony.
2. dinner service was excellent and interesting, however we are accustomed to eating in nice restaurants frequently and were not very impressed by the food, except for the chocolate melting cake!!
3. LOVED Portland, Maine!! More will retire there one day :)
4. Loved the halifax - lighthouses and lobsters excursion even though it was cut short due to weather... lots of fun and great guides!
5. we are scrapbookers so we enjoyed all the photo opps.
6. the comedians were wonderful and we loved every minute!!
7. karaoke was an entertaining alternative to the hypnotist! and misty the karaoke leader was wonderful!
Cons: 1. Our steward: Terran introduced himself the first night and proceeded to tell us all about his long hours and many responsibilities as well as adding that we will have the opportunity to give him additional tips at the end. however, his helpers were fantastic!
2. the average age of the guests on this ship had to be at least 70. there were very few activities that appealed to us (including my parents).
3. the hypnotist was horrible!! (he was not funny, he was loud and obnoxious)
4. Saint John was run down and not well maintained. our guide was not very good. we paid for the moosehead beer tour thinking that we would tour the brewery and found out that we were going to sit in an Irish bar and taste the beers after over an hour of boring city highlights with Don the guide who showed us everything from where he went to high school to where he hangs out in his spare time.
5. mom and dad went on the ride the rapids tour in saint john and nearly froze to death after their "crazy" guide did donuts in the water and dove into their own wake to create bigger rapids. there were lots of elderly people on this tour as well and were told that they might get sprinkled but not soaked.
6. the decor on the ship left lots to be desired. it was dark and depressing and somewhat outdated.
7. we heard several people say that if this had been their first cruise they wouldn't do it again.
8. fun days at sea were not so fun. boring actually.
9. public rooms were smoky Less
Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>
Cabin review: Carnival Victory Interior Upper 6377
inside cabin was nice and dark... not to big, not to little
Nice Cruise, third cruise
Very nice, with a few glitches
Good Ship, Great Times, but No...
A Great Thanksgiving Trip