Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by ljwhome

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by ljwhome
Celebrity Constellation
Celebrity Constellation
Member Name: ljwhome
Cruise Date: September 2008
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Transatlantic
Cabin Category: 06
See More About: Celebrity Constellation Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

Cruise COULD and SHOULD have been better!
My husband and I have cruised many times before and have cruised many different cruise lines and locations.. We are 60 years old.

Celebrity booked our air arrangements which proved to be fine. However, at the Barcelona airport, we had to wait 25 minutes for a bus to take us to the ship. Then, when the bus arrived, we then had to wait 20 minutes (on the bus) for additional people before leaving the airport for the ship.

Upon entering the ship, I went to Guest Relations to purchase Euros. I was told they had no Euros and would not have the money until 6 p.m. that day. (The hotel director was told and couldn't believe this story.) We were told we could purchase Euros at the ATM, but we don't use ATMs. As proved throughout the entire trip, the staff was clueless; there was a currency exchange location within the terminal.

Our stateroom was acceptable, as well as the service in the stateroom while on the cruise. However, we had a torn sheet for 2 nights until I left a purple post-it-note on the sheet! When the attendant saw the purple note, the sheet was changed! The bathroom tile was quite mildewed.

Being that the Constellation is only 6 years old, I felt it was not properly maintained, especially in the Fitness Center. The Fitness Center was very important to us; however, 2 of the 8 Elliptical machines were broken and 4 of the 10 Spinning Bikes were broken. And, why would Celebrity charge $10.00 for a Cycling Class? When I complained to the girl in the F.C. about the machines, she told me it's been that way for months. When I complained to the F.C. Manager, she was 'unaware of any problems".

Shore Excursions - Never have I left a tour that I did not tip the guide until this cruise. The guides were less than acceptable. And, the procedure for securing bus stickers was crazy. Everyone had to meet in the Theatre, walk to the stage and pick up stickers. Why not just give out the stickers at the back of the theatre, eliminating the elderly people from the distance and the steps?

Dining - Celebrity has a definite Dress Code. However, it is not enforced! When I approached the Ass't Maitre D about a particular woman who wore white short shorts to dinner every night for 3 nights, he responded by telling me he could not enforce the rules. After 10 nights, I informed the Maitre D about this and he met with the individual and spelled out the rules. Her attire changed! Many others came to the main dining room in t-shirts and jeans! (against the dress code). We could have saved a lot of packing if we hadn't brought both formal and informal clothes!

Dining - The quality of the food was less than acceptable. The presentation and abundance of food was good, but not the quality. The Buffet, which was convenient, was served the same food everyday...no variation! If one happened to be a 'night person', food was not available except through room service.

Entertainment - The BEST part of my 14 night cruise was Pearl Kaufman, Pianist. Other entertainment was just OK. We walked out of the theatre during at least 3 performances.

I took the opportunity to meet with the Hotel Director, Raffaele Bernardini, to discuss some of my concerns. He and 2 of his assistants took notes. I told them I'd like my suggestions to be addressed for future clients.

Disembarkation was a total disaster! I was to appear in a lounge before 9:20 a.m. - Breakfast was being served only until 8:30 a.m. Everyone had to be out of their stateroom, the lounges were crowded and there was no where to sit to wait to be called for our disembarkation. We never left the ship until about 10:30 a.m. and then we were herded onto buses, had to pick up our luggage, drag the luggage through customs because there were no card or assistance and then 'find' the correct bus (with no directional signs) to take us to the airport... When we did board the correct bus, because there were seats available, the drivers allowed random people to board the bus. They were not filling the buses in any order; however, they wouldn't let buses leave until the bus was full. Many people ended up missing their flights. There was absolutely no assistance available with regard to our luggage. In all this rushing around, dragging luggage and rushing to a bus, I lost my cellular phone - gone forever!

Would I ever choose Celebrity Cruise Lines again? I don't think so.

Publication Date: 09/29/08