Carnival Miracle Cruise Review by mr0315

Carnival Miracle
Member Name: mr0315
Email: mariar0315@aol.com
Cruise Date: September 2008
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Cabin Category: 7A
        Under 3 5+

Always a good time!
We chose this cruise for our anniversary because it departed from NYC which is a quick 2 1/2 hour drive from our home in Delaware. My husband has sailed out of NYC before and caught the end of a hurricane. The previous Miracle sailing had made the news for it's unexpected stop in Rhode Island. We had no idea what to expect, but hey...it's a cruise! We also had our 2 year old daughter with us. Our older kids were not happy they had to stay in school. We belong to the Carnival Vacation Club, so we have VIP embarkation. The computers were all down, but we were still on the ship in under 20 minutes. We headed up to the Lido deck for lunch and attempted to go to our cabin at 2pm. We were very rudely told by the cabin steward that our room wasn't ready. I cut the guy a break after hearing about their tips being deleted by the last set of passengers. The ship was very clean, very easy to get around - I love the Spirit class. Some of the decor is over the top, but it's a Funship, right? We booked cabin 5170 - an obstructed balcony. It was great. The lifeboat sat right below our balcony and didn't really obscure the view at all. It actually gave us a bit more coverage from the rain too! Our cabin stewards kept the room neat as a pin, but weren't as friendly as we've had on previous cruises. Again, I gave them the benefit of the doubt after the last group of passengers.

It was pretty stormy heading out of port. I've never seen whitecaps like that on the Hudson! The bags went out in the hallways too. I always wear a patch, so luckily, I wasn't bothered by the seas.

There were plenty of activities on board. It's not a cruise unless my husband wins his little ship on a stick! Brett needs some new material, but we really liked asst. cruise director Josh "Big Sexy" and Pip, Binky and Lil Lou. There was always something to do.

The Bacchus dining room was my biggest gripe. Our servers, IWayan and Ali never got up to speed. The couple that sat across from us (and had another team) routinely were finished dessert before we were served our entrees - even when they came to dinner much later than we did. I spoke up about it on the second night, but the service never did improve. The food was ok in Bacchus, but I agree with many reviewers that it has declined. The Lido deck food was usually very good and offered great variety. We dined at Nick and Nora's on our anniversary. Excellent!

It was my daughter's first time at Camp Carnival and she couldn't get enough! She would run to go to camp every chance she got. I needed an extra suitcase to bring home all of her art projects! She couldn't get enough of Funship Freddy and got to dance with him at the Captain's Welcome.

Puerto Rico....We did the Bio Bay Kayaking....excellent...amazing how every stroke of the paddle or your hand lights up the water. The midnight sailaway party was great.

St. Thomas....Captain Volpi gave us extra time here...we did the Helmet Dive at Coral World...another great time. Tortola...we booked the Dolphin Swim...my favorite! We were able to kiss, pet, feed, dance with and be pulled in the water by Venus, our dolphin. We also bought the DVD - well worth the $. We cruise Carnival twice a year, so the entertainment gets redundant. The Legends show was hysterical, though.

Disembarkment was very slow. We were VIP, but it seemed half the ship decided to self assist, so it took almost 2 hours before they got to us. Once we were called it went quickly. Then we found out we had docked in a different spot than we had left from, which made getting to the car a bit difficult. Overall, a great getaway. We might book the Miracle for next year!

Publication Date: 09/21/08