Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by dagtoking1

Cruise Date: August 2008
Destination: Bahamas

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
MY 3 DAY CRUISE ON THE NCL SKY
After reading all the dismal reviews and the better ones as of late I was a bit apprehensive about my upcoming cruise on the NCL Sky; especially because I had booked another cruise on her for the end of October. I am Gold on NCL; I've taken in excess of fourteen (14) cruises with NCL so I have been on some NCL ships. I did encounter some things I had problems with but for the most part the cruise was very nice and I am happy to be going again. We were on the three (3) day itinerary.

Getting on the Sky was a breeze. Because of my Gold status we were escorted onto the ship from the VIP lounge within minutes. Everyone seemed to be boarding easily. We were greeted with a complimentary glass of champagne to start us on our way. All of the crew that I encountered was extremely friendly and helpful. We had an inside cabin on deck 10. I can't believe the Sky ever did seven (7) day cruises in Hawaii because there was barely any storage space at all in the cabin and I was thankful I didn't over pack. You don't need a whole lot; I saw people having dinner in shorts, incredibly even in the specialty restaurant. The Hawaiian decor of this ship is wonderful; it took me back to my cruise on the Pride of America and brought back wonderful memories.

The first night we had dinner in Cagney's the specialty steak house. I had dined in Cagney's previously on another NCL ship. Personally, I don't see what the big deal is. The food was very good but no better than the food in the main dining room in my opinion. Cagney's was booked solid each night of the cruise but unless you want something specific from their menu that night I don't see the point in paying a cover charge; especially when the food in the main dining room was very good indeed. The cover charge for Cagney's was $20.00 per person and there was an additional charge if you wanted certain items. The ceasar salad was divine in this restaurant and was made from scratch immediately before serving. The desserts we had were not as good. Kahlua Crème Brulee tasted like coffee pudding and their interpretation of Bananas Foster was not the best. Still, it was a very good meal. The other nights we ate in the main dining rooms and the food and service were good; we preferred the Crossings to the Palace, but both were nice. If you don't like the menu in the main dining rooms NCL offers chicken breast or sirloin steak every night. I had the steak and liked it.

The entertainment was very good. The first night they had a teaser with the singers and dancers from the Production show. On first sight they didn't seem very good and sure didn't look like the Jean Ann Ryan performers I have seen on other NCL ships. The next night when they performed they were very good, and the comedian was very funny too. We didn't go to the Not So Newlywed Game because if you have seen one of these shows you have seen them all. The day on Great Stirrup Cay, always my favorite day of the cruise was wonderful. We had beautiful weather and it was delightful.

There were a few things that we found negative about the Sky. Upon arrival in our cabin it seemed a bit warm. We reported the air conditioning problem immediately and they dispatched someone at once who changed the filter which was filthy. He also did some adjusting and sent housekeeping to clean up our bathroom. The air continued not to perform to what we expected which prompted a second complaint but for the most part it was cool enough. One morning when we woke up the bathroom floor was wet and the water level in the toilet was high. I don't know what happened but apparently the toilet over flowed. Several times during the cruise we attempted to use the steam room in the spa which wasn't working. Additionally, there is no hot water in the showers in the spa. At least twice during the cruise the water was cut off briefly to the entire ship. I requested tender tickets and was advised that they don't use them. The cruise director announced that they would make an announcement to go to the gangway at about 8:00am. The announcement didn't come until about 9:30am. People were waiting on the stair wells and coming down on the elevator and cutting into the line which caused hard feelings among those who had been waiting longer. It was out of control with nobody from NCL there to keep any order. The Latitudes party was the cheapest I've ever seen. I arrived 15 minutes late and there wasn't anyone from the ship's staff there at all; just some passengers sitting around and some cut up cheese. On Saturday night in the main dining room a lobster/grouper combination is offered. The lobster tail is very small so I would definitely order two (2) at the time of your original order. The Grouper that accompanies the lobster was inedible due to being fishy tasting. It was so fishy that I couldn't eat the part of the rice it was sitting on. Other than that everything I ate in the main dining rooms was good. Contrary to the dining rooms the buffets on the Sky are not stellar. Especially late night. On Sunday night they actually had buffet food from the night before out as a late night snack. Just gross! I've never seen such a thing and unless you are into Fatoush, there wasn't much of a selection at all.

There was also no Chocoholic Buffet on this ship. I have come to love the Chocoholic Buffet on NCL and was disappointed that it wasn't offered. It would have been very nice to offer the Chocoholic Buffet at midnight in one of the main dining rooms on Saturday night.

The pizza is not very good on this ship but the ice cream parlor is open often, even at night and is very good.

Disembarkation went smoothly and quickly.

All in all the Sky isn't perfect and it can't compare to any of the other ships in NCL's fleet, but it is a nice cruise for a fairly cheap price.

Publication Date: 09/17/08