Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by kshuman: Explorer + Bermuda = Fantastic

Compare Prices on Explorer of the Seas Bermuda Cruises

Explorer + Bermuda = Fantastic

Sail Date: September 2008
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

We (my DH of 20 years and our 2 neighbors who are also celebrating their 20th anniv) drove our van into Cape Liberty at 11:30 on Saturday morning. It was a quick and painless check-in process. I must say I was impressed with how easy it was to board. We paid our $80 parking fee and within 1 hour we were sitting in the Windjammer having a buffet lunch. Exactly at 1:30 they let us enter our rooms. Everything about our balcony room was nice. We have cruised 4 other times (2 of those times with RCCL) and we had no surprises onboard. Everything was just like we expected, if not better. We changed into our swimsuits and headed to the hot tubs in the Solarium. My neighbor went into the Solarium pool for a few minutes and made the mistake of opening his eyes. The chlorine/chemicals burnt his eyes so much that he literally poured cups of water into them for minutes afterwards. BE WARNED - they clean the pools routinely so be careful! Yes, the first night there was lots of rockin' More due to Hurricane Hannah remnants, but no one got sick in our group and the next morning we awoke to a beautiful, sunny day.

The evening meals were always good and I was impressed with the comedians during the evening shows. The ice show (as mentioned on the boards) is REALLY good...not to be missed. The cruised director, Mike, from Australia was fun. Considering the age of this ship - we were all impressed with its condition. I am pretty detail oriented and I saw very few things that needed to be upgraded/replaced. In fact, my biggest concern about booking this particular cruise was the age of the ship and whether the most recent reconditioning was good enough. It was a great looking ship and I would recommend it to anyone.

We did not take any excursions with RCCL. We booked our own Segway tour in Bermuda and just LOVED it. We would do it again in a second. We also toured the island via the ferry and bus system and found it to be convenient, cheap, and educational! We only had 2 days in Bermuda. It would have been nice to have 1 more day! We did so many neat things and saw so much - my friends called me Cruise Director Julie.

The last day was overcast so we spent some time playing ping pong, shuffleboard and eating a lot!! Because we didn't buy much of anything we decided to carry our own luggage off the ship versus disembarking using color coded luggage tags. Because we had the "walk off" option we were in our car by 8:45 AM...again a very painless process just like the way we started the cruise! RCCL makes it easy!

We enjoy cruising and I am sure this won't be our last cruise. We love RCCL and would cruise with them again. We also loved Bermuda and would go back there again! Less

Read more Explorer of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Explorer of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Explorer of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom Deck 7 8386

Enough space under bed to store large piece of luggage. Very quite - never heard anyone else! 8th floor was very convenient to everything. 3 floors down for dinner, 3 floors up for pool...we walked everywhere versus the elevators