Vision of the Seas Cruise Review by catmomma: Trip made fun by the people we were with

catmomma
Member Since 2004

Compare Prices on Vision of the Seas Mexican Riviera Cruises

Trip made fun by the people we were with

Sail Date: August 2008
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

This was my 9th cruise and my 4th time venturing down to Mexico on a ship. My second trip with RCCL.

Embarkation in LA took over 90 minutes. We were told not to arrive to the port till 1pm but then later found out some of our friends arrived around 11 and were let on the ship! If we knew that was a option we may have been able to beat some of the crowd that all showed up at 1pm. I have never waited that long to get on board before.

We originally ended up at a table that was not with our travel group but by the second night that was taken care of. No problem.

Cabin was as expected. I usually get a cabin with a window or balcony because of claustrophobia issues but this time we wanted to save some money so we went inside. I have to say it was nice and quiet down there. The shower was the smallest I have ever seen on a ship and was difficult to work with for my husband and I who are both around 6 feet tall. bedding was very comfortable and I More will admit I slept more this week than I have in a long time. Cabin did not come with a fridge or coffee maker like I have had on previous ships.

As for the food we ate each evening at the Aquarius dining room. The food was pretty good and the staff was awesome. Very easy to work with and accommodating to whatever you need. My only issue with the dining room was the last night when they did their little performance you could tell they were not actually singing to the bad recording. It was just really cheesy. Could have lived without the strange performance during the meal. The Windjammer was good for breakfast and lunch each day and they did try to swap some things out to keep it interesting. The service there was also very nice. If you did not have a extra hand to pick up a drink, they would notice and come over to the table to offer to bring you something.

I was not impressed by the ship overall. I thought the public areas were small and uninteresting. Most of the decor was drab and some things were showing quite a bit of wear and tear. Was a little hard to find quiet places to just hang out and read without someone coming to ask if I wanted a "Mango Tango" drink. The gym was tiny and was always packed when I tried to visit it.

My favorite spot on the ship was the Solarium. If you visit there during a port day you can almost have the pool to yourself. It is a peaceful spot and the pool is adults only.

Our ports were Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. In Cabo we walked the city looking for food and deals. In Mazatlan we did the "Salsa and Salsa" tour and totally enjoyed the cooking class and resort it was located at. They don't tell you this in advance so I will, bring a bathing suit! In PV we went on the Pirate Ship, can't recommend this highly enough! The private beach they took us to was amazing and it is a great trip for kids because they had a lot of activities for them. We went as two adults and had a blast, it was a highlight of the cruise.

I will cruise with RCCL again (I am booked on the Serenade next September) but I will not go back on the Vision. We had a amazing trip but it was made that way by the group of 20 we cruised with and the crew, not the ship or the ports. Less

Read more Vision of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Vision of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Vision of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 2 3809

miniature shower, quiet location, easy access to diningroom.