Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by richtoro: I had a great time

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sky Bahamas Cruises

I had a great time

Sail Date: September 2008
Destination: Bahamas

This is about our tenth cruise, previously sailing on Disney, Carnival, and NCL. We traveled on the 3 night to the Bahamas on September 5th. For those of you reading this because you are curious about what lays ahead, keep in mind that we all have such different opinions. We went into this cruise hoping for a few nights away with family at a reasonable cost. We were quite pleased, especially after reading all of the reviews and boards. We found the staff to be mostly very pleasant and welcoming. We had traveled in June on NCL's Pride of America and the staff on the Sky was a million times friendlier. We were greeted with a smile and champagne or orange juice when we entered - I wasn't expecting anything more. I thought this was a nice touch.

Our cabin was small, but everything worked well and our steward kept everything stocked and ready. Could I complain that the beds weren't put together for a full size bed....sure, but big deal. We asked him to fix it and he More did it the next night. Entertainment was fair. We enjoyed the comedian and found his audience participation humor very funny and quite original. He was quick witted too, adding comments at a whim that were very funny. I noticed some negative comments from recent reviews, but no need to worry about that as the comedian isn't returning. The dancers/singers were mediocre, though I will say they sure had a lot of energy. We did enjoy the White Hot party and some of the line dancing. Bring your own white shirts to avoid buying NCL's $15.00 shirts, although they do make a nice souvenir. We went with a large group of family and we all were out to have a lot of fun dancing. Again, you make the most of what you're given. I didn't care for the Latin music and agree with other posters that it would have been nice to have more of a variety in music, especially the first day at the sail away party.

We didn't get to the private island. There was a sign posted saying the private island was cancelled when we boarded. I viewed some photos of the island and it didn't seem so impressive anyway. I'd rather be safe than sorry and it wasn't as though it was a great port that I had been anticipating for months.

The food was good. I enjoyed the meals and freestyle dining. I especially enjoyed the specialty restaurants and took advantage of using my buy one get one free coupon on the first night at Le Bistro. Our waitress was wonderful, though pretty pushy. She kept pressuring us to try different foods, but afterwards she sent us a complimentary dessert to our staterooms...nice gesture I thought. The view at Le Bistro was wonderful; we ate at 6pm and were able to watch us sailing away from Miami. Some people may not opt for this restaurant as it offers untraditional menu items. We also ate at IL Adagio on the third night. Our waiter was probably the least pleasant staff person we experienced, but the meal was enjoyable. They did not have a large table that could accommodate our family so we sat at several different tables. Forget the lobster ravioli, but I enjoyed the antipasto trolley, olives, pizza, and desserts. We ate lunch at the Palace and Crossings. We ate at the buffet once for breakfast and it was missing several of the items that were available at the sit down restaurants the previous day. My husband ate at the buffet for lunch and said the variety wasn't good, so he got a pizza at IL Adagio, but said it wasn't very good. We're not too picky about pizza...eating at local pizza buffets, but he said the pizza he had there was like cardboard. Could it have been out too long? Perhaps. Try it and see what you think since it's free.

In short, we had a great time. We went on with low expectations and an open mind and felt that NCL made a big effort to fix the past problems. The price was good, the company was good and the food presentation and taste was also good. Less

Read more Norwegian Sky cruise reviews >>