Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by jimjencruisers

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by jimjencruisers
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Liberty
Member Name: jimjencruisers
Cruise Date: August 2008
Cabin Category: 8E

lovin2cruisenow
This was our first cruise for my husband and I. We were celebrating our honeymoon/ 1st anniversary. They reversed our itinerary due to Hurricane Fay and Hana. It worked out great. It was a little cloudy in Miami when we left port, but the weather was great the rest of the trip. Sorry this is a little long, but I read these before we went and it made all the difference in our cruise. I hope this helps.

Embarkation the 1st day We flew into FFL and arrived around 10:40am. We took our luggage to the Go shuttle that is just outside of baggage claim and we were at the Miami Port in about 40min. We were on the ship about 45min later and eating lunch. Our rooms would not be ready Until 1:30pm so it worked out great.

Cabin: Our cabin was great! We had a balcony on the Panorama Deck 10. This is a great location. It was quiet and close to everything. We were a little worried about it being under the gym, but the Gym closes at 8pm so it was quiet. Our room Steward Rudy was fantastic. Every time we left the room, it was cleaned up and straight. There is plenty of room for suitcases and clothes. The bathrooms are good sized. The bed was comfortable.

Dining: We had the 6pm seating in the Golden Dinning room. It was a very pretty room. Our servers Sandra and Joseneil were great and very personable and informative about the ship. We decided to go to Harry's on the second formal night. It was awesome! I would definitely recommend you eat there at least once on your cruise. It is worth the extra $30pp. The buffet is ok, but crowded and lines everywhere. We preferred breakfast in the Silver Dinning Room. They serve you there. You can also go there for lunch, but we usually went to the grill on the Lido deck. Our only complaint was at night, they only had Pizza, and they should keep a grill open late for other things.

Room Service: It took about 1hr for room service. Although we ordered at night for the next morning and it was always delivered on time. It's nice to have hot coffee on your balcony. Make sure you specify how many muffins etc you want them to bring next to the check mark. You are expected to tip for any room service. We weren't sure because gratuity was supposed to be charged automatically. It is, but that is for your Server and Room Steward. Some of the servers deliver rooms service to make extra money. We also tipped more to our Server and Steward at the end of the cruise.

Entertainment: The shows were ok. I saw a couple and the comedy show was pretty good. I ended up getting sick the last night of the cruise, but my husband said the Legend show was good. They had people from the cruise in the show. The marriage show was hilarious. Our cruise director Karl with a K was great. I think it was his last cruise on Liberty. The hairy chest contest was funny. They show it over and over again on your TV in the room.

Spa: The first day on the cruise you are invited to take a tour of the Spa. It is good to do. They will offer specials if you book that night. They will however offer even better specials through out the cruise, so you don't have to buy it then. I recommend the couples massage and my husband said the gents facial and foot massage was great.

Shore Excursions: Jamaica we ended up going with friends we met on Cruise critic roll call boards. They went with knowjamaica dot com with Martha Shaw. She was great. We did the Dunn's River Falls, Tubing down Martha Brae river and Reggae Beach Party. The falls are great but if you have bad knees beware. They will video you going up the falls. My suggestion is you get together with your group and go in together and make copies afterwards. The DVD is $40ea. Everywhere we went the expected a tip. They are really pushy in some places. It is worth going with a group on an excursion.

Grand Cayman, We decided to do our own thing. The ships docked on the other side of the island due to The hurricanes and rough seas. They tendered us in. This was fast. Except on the way back. There were 3 ships at port at the same time and the lines were really long and it was hot. I recommend getting back about 2 hours early if this should happen to you. We took a cab to 7 mi beach $6. We walked to the Hyatt resort and paid $25 to use their facilities, chairs, swim up bar. The food at their restaurant was outstanding. We then took a cab to Margaritaville $10 and then took one back to the port $4each person.

Cozumel: We did the Atlantis Sub tour and it was great. It you don't like to snorkel this is for you. We went to La Mission to eat some authentic Mexican food, it was good. We went back to the ship took a nap and ended up falling a sleep for 3 hours. Woops. We got up and took a cab $40RT to Paradise Beach at 3:30pm, He said they closed at 6pm. It was still worth it. We went to Carlos & Charlie's for dinner and drinks ( FUN PLACE!) This place was crazy but worth going. They will take pictures ($27framed) and make you balloon hats (tip). Over all Cozumel was our favorite place. We will probably rent a jeep next time.

Over all this Liberty is a great ship. The pools and decks are nice and the décor is pretty. The Casino was good sized, There are plenty of activities on the ship daily as you will get these the night before in your Capers. Oh I can't forget the towel animals in our room, they were great! I would recommend this to anyone looking for a fun ship.

Publication Date: 09/10/08