Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by gungadin_stocks

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by gungadin_stocks
Norwegian Sky
        7-9 1.0
        10-12 1.0

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
No frills, but cheap
First 2 adults 2 children for under $700.00 not including tips.

The Port of Miami needs to upgrade their signage, took the wrong bridge to the port and had to back track a 1/2 hour to get back. Port Canaveral much easier to get to. Also the parking garage had no painted arrows or exit signs and wound up driving right through the garage the first time. Very poor considering you pay $20.00/day to park.

First time on NCL, took cheap cruise to see how they were. Wanted to go to private island more then bahamas. Since we already have been on Disney and RCL island.

Not much of a hello while boarding but got some free champagne.

Found room on the 9th floor. Expected it to be small and it was. Barely enough room to walk with sofa bed down. But AC worked really well and so did the toilet. The bed was very comfortable, we also asked for and got a egg pad mattress, just to make sure we were ok. But no complaints about the bed. Our room key did not work the first time and had to go to pursers desk to get new keys.

Friday night we heard the captain speak on the intercom you have to open the door of your cabin to hear as there are no speakers in the room ( real pain). He said the hurricane was not going to effect our cruise at all. It was 500 miles from us he said. We were happy to hear this. But when my wife looked at the agenda for the kids club it said sunday would be day at sea, although the other agenda sheet for ship board activities said stir cay island sunday.

Ate at the buffet and it was not remarkable. As bad as all the other cruises we have been on. So I'd say average. Except they only had non sweet ice tea and milk, water. Food overcooked throughout the ship.

We checked the times of the shows and planned on our dinner around them. We ate at the palace for lunch and dinner every day except one time. Did not want to go to the restaurant with people with swimming clothes and t-shirts. Also did not want to pay to eat, seemed like many guests did that. The food at the palace was average for the most part. The steak was awful though, all of the chicken dinners we had were good. The deserts were excellent, especially the chocolate cake ones. Kids can get lemonade, apple juice, water milk. I asked for lemonade for myself and the waiter said its only for the kids. I was not very happy about that answer, but did not pursue it further. It was just a stupid reply. The waiters could barely understand english. A lot of I don't know answers, or did not even understand the question. But they did their job without speaking hardly. Not like other cruise ships I have been on. No incentive since you pay tip upfront I guess. A few were a little better.

Saw all of the shows for the most part. They had dancers and a comedian. Neither were very good. The comedian uses audience members for his act, even to the point of dragging them up to the stage by force. I don't really like those types of shows. He had one poor guest play ToTo from the wizard of oz. The poor guy was on his hands and knees for about an hour while the guy setup the act. I would never go up on stage, as I think it is not up to the guests to entertain themselves. Most of them looked very foolish up there. It was funny in an odd kind of way. I am also pretty sure he had some people planted in the show. Because of some of the off the wall comments they made. He had 3 shows for three nights that we saw. The dancers had 2 shows about the 50,70's they looked rather old and tired to me. Disney knows how to put on a show and all other shows seem to be not up to par. Too bad no magician! Did go to the dance parties, for some reason NCL played cuban music? I don't get that! I think a lot more people would have danced if it were mixed.

We were kept very busy our 3 days for the most part. So that was very good. The kids went to kids corner all 3 nights. Usually they hate those places but for some reason they couldn't wait to go back. It was very amazing. I give that an A+ just because they hated the other cruise ships kids corners. Which usually meant sitting in front of a tv while they were there. The people at kids corner actually played games with the kids so was very happy they were happy.

We found out saturday night that we were not going to private island on sunday, very disappointed. When I asked the assistant cruise director she said they decided this prior to us getting on the ship friday. And that this past week they were not been able to get on the island as well as RCL. Well I thought don't even bring up excuse like that. Don't even tell me about prior cruises, as it has nothing to do with our cruise. I seem to remember that ships usually stay by the island to see how conditions are before deciding its too rough. But in NCL's case they did not even try and determined it 2 days ahead of time. We also found out they posted on their website late on friday. When we were driving to the port. What good is that???

I mean I tracked the storm and it was no where near us. They were being overly conservative to me. Don't know why the captain said we were a go on the intercom the day prior????. Maybe he expected us to know they posted the information on the web 3 hours ago! Just plain dumb.

We finished our cruise and were happy as we have read the past comments. I think we would travel on NCL again as long as the price was right. But would avoid sept-oct in the future. The saving grace was the price for this cruise. If I'd paid a lot of money I would have felt gypped.

Especially since the food on the pay to eat restaurants was supposed to be so much better. Why not at least give each passenger a free night in one of those diners. Instead of nickel and diming the guests. Also the entertainment wasn't all that good.

Publication Date: 09/09/08