Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by jerryrs

Cruise Date: September 2008
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: BA

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Fun but room for improvement
My biggest praises for the Norwegian Sky are both for embarkation and disembarkation. Me and my girlfriend were running late so we arrived to the port around 3:30pm for a 5pm departure. There were no lines and we proceeded quickly through through registration and would have gone quicker if the agent was more familiar. Disembarkation featured an express departure where we were allowed to bring our own luggage and be first off the ship. This actually started earlier than was even advertised.

My biggest complaint on this cruise had to be the entertainment. The music was absolutely dreadful. I like to think of myself fairly open minded when it comes to music but if you are not a fan of latin music or 70's disco this is not the cruise for you. I am not much of a hip hop fan but was begging for the dj to play it just to have something fun and danceable to work with. There is 1 disco/club that plays this same music night after night. I'm used to being on cruises were there are 2 or 3 clubs to choose from with different styles of music. This wasn't the case here. Also they advertised NCL's white hot night where everyone would be dressed in white. Well my girlfriend and I decided to buy 2 $15 t shirts and were definitely 2 of the few who decided to buy them aside from the crew. Again it was the same horrible music only poolside. They also hide a horribly unfunny comedian whose schtick was solely making fun of the audience. It is like pulling teeth to get him to tell a joke. I would have to say look to Carnival or Royal Caribbean for better entertainment.

With all that being said there are some other positives to note. The refurbishment of the boat is definitely apparent. The floral "tattoo" on the bow of the ship is quite impressive and really makes the ship stand out. Rooms were clean and the balcony was definitely worth the added expense. I have to admit I did miss not having the towel animals as I'm used to on other cruises. Maybe because this was a shorter cruise I did not get a chance to get to know our cabin steward. He was merely mediocre.

I am mixed on the freestyle cruising. I do like having more choices when it comes to my meals and being able to choose the time I like. However I wasn't too thrilled with the fancier restaurants charging cover fees. Also I liked not having to be forced to sit with other guests. The service ranged from very attentive to completely disinterested. Either you were surrounded by waiters or there were none to be found. The in dining room beverage service was extremely poor. I would thing they would be jumping at the chance to sell soft drinks or alcohol with an automatic tip but this was not the case.

I am glad we decided to take an excursion in Nassau. In our case it was the seahorse sail and snorkel. Due to the lack of entertainment on board this was definitely a must.

Despite my harsh comments the trip was still fun and acceptable. It was a nice weekend break for me and my girlfriend and we enjoyed it. However I will probably choose another cruise line next time.

Publication Date: 09/09/08