Pride of America Cruise Review by Debi: Better Ship Night Life

Better Ship Night Life

Sail Date: August 2008
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: Honolulu

I read the reviews of other members before leaving to cruise on Pride of America and I am happy to report the cruise line was listening! There were plenty of activities to choose from after 6pm. Here are my thoughts on this cruise:

We flew American Airlines and the flight attendants were very festive. The food was actually edible.

We stayed in the JW Marriott Ihilani Resort and Spa at Ko Olina. The resort is wonderful - they have three lagoons-therefore you can swim without the worry of riptides and undertows. The bar serves pina coladas in a real pineapple. Be warned the food is expensive (as we expected from a resort) but there is a small town close by. Also the air conditioning in the room is not the best and August is the hottest time of year in Hawaii therefore we were a little warm in our room at night - if you book in August don't get an ocean view room because the afternoon sun heats up the room. We rented a car for the three days we were in Oahu before the More cruise- we returned the car to the airport after we checked our bags with the cruiseline-this was easier than lugging our luggage in a taxi back to the pier. Most people on this site said checking in was fast- we found it took a while because they did not have every counter open - (20 counters and only 7 of them were staffed)-still we got on the ship within 35 minutes. We were VERY impressed with the interior design of this ship. The murals in all the public rooms depicted an important place or time in history of America. The Great Seal of the President of the United States on deck 5 is incredible.

I cannot remember what our cabin class was but the room number was 7548-the room was about the same size as the balcony rooms on other cruiselines that I have sailed but I would not book a room so close to the elevators again - people were very loud in the early am and late at night. Also we booked on the PORT side of the ship and unfortunately we were pier side at every port which means we had ugly container railroad cars to look at while we were in port and that was not great because in two ports we stayed overnight which means we had to listen to trucks moving containers most of the time. The bed and bedlinens were very comfortable.

The comedian on was okay (Chris Alpine)-his impromptu stuff while talking with the audience was more funny that his routine. The magic show was good too. We did not eat at any of the restaurants because my husband is a picky eater and likes the buffet. The buffet was good-and thanks so much for the cruise critic person who suggested going to the buffet at the front of the ship - no long lines and you are seated outside. People on the website complained that once in port the pictures that you can take with the characters had to be one person at a time which increases the number of pictures you have to buy --not so anymore we asked to be together in the pictures and they complied.

Nightlife on the ship was great - they had a disco night, a 'white hot party' - you wear all white and they shine ultraviolet lights everywhere while you dance (they sell white t-shirts if you don't pack one) a GREAT band that played GLENN MILLER music (yes we are in our early 40's and love this music) the NOT-SO NEWLYWED GAME which is always funny and a scavenger hunt. Our kids did not travel with us on this cruise but I made a point to ask the youth onboard if they were having fun and they all agreed (one 14yr old boy was having an argument with his parents because he did not want to go on the prepaid shore excursion with his family because THE TEEN BAR was so fun - he must have found a girlfriend on board:>) The staff was very nice - everyone was in a great mood. The television in the room showed some interesting shows about people who are famous from Hawaii - and some great shows about the geology of the islands. In closing my husband and I consider the cruise to be a 'floating hotel' just to get us from one port to another and we were very pleased with NCL Pride of America! Less

Read more Pride of America cruise reviews >>