Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by SplatInc

Cabin Category: OG
Entertainment 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Re-assure yourself
This cruise was booked for me and my father to get some quality time together, and it worked! We each had a E category cabin, adjoining. The flight down was uneventful. I was surprised that US Air charges $20 to check 1 bag for your flight! Dad and I did ours carry-on so no problem but it is a worrying trend. Are they going to charge extra to have the cabin pressurized, charge you for bathroom privileges? Ecchhh!

Embarkation was a very easy. We arrived at the pier at 1pm and were onboard eating within a thirty minutes. The glass of champagne and sit down meal is a nice change from the usual buffet bingo madness of most cruise lines.

I got a massage the first night and missed the comic. I wish I hadn't as the ran the show on the tv in the room and it was a really funny act. The parties on the top deck were high energy and the disco was full the first night out.

We ate at Cagney's at 6pm and had no issues with quality of food or speed of service.

Father and I did the "Deep Water Swim" at Atlantis. I would compare it favorably in respect to the dolphin encounter that you can book with Blue Lagoon. It was way more convenient to access and Dolphin Key was much better looking (although fake) than the Blue Lagoon.

We ate and Le Bistro the second night. Once again not much to report other than my tenderloin was more medium than rare. It wasn't worth worrying about.

I sang Karaoke and listened to Leo in Captain Cooks Bar before going up to the top deck. The "White Hot" party was techno music. High energy but a smaller crowd than the first night.

The last day turned into a day at sea. The private island had 4-6 ft seas, I wouldn't have wanted to ride the tender that day! The captain found a great sunny spot and cut the engines. I played trivia and all the group participation activities. The assistant cruise director "Borat" was quite funny and he had a kooky laugh.

Dinner the last night was at Il Addagio. The calamari was very good. A lot of people seemed to be passing through from the rear elevators to the pool deck. It was disconcerting to be dressed up for dinner and have people in swimsuits walking past your table.

We went to the comedy show on the last night and loved it. Tim Kaminskey has an interesting style about him and the crowd loved it. I was chosen to be "Toto" in the Wizard of Oz bit. Getting a huge laugh from 900+ people will be a treasured memory.

I also played "Adult-Quest" with some friends I met onboard. It was already hilarious so it got even better when we won!

The toga party was fun. NCL needs to have the toga's ready before the party though. There was a poor girl ripping sheets with here teeth at the entryway which backed everyone up.

Disembarkation was a breeze. We walked strait off and were even able to get on an earlier flight, 10am, to go back home.

High points were Tim Kaminskey, crew member Mercedes, the amount activities, and the general attitude of the staff.

Downsides were very few. There is a musty smell in certain parts of the ship but I forgot to notice almost as soon as I was aboard. The spa was very hot on the sea day but not so much that I would have to sweat.

Publication Date: 09/03/08