Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by nps001

Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Great Value
We arrived at the terminal at approximately 1pm. It was one of the quickest check-ins I have experienced.

The rooms weren't ready until about 2:30pm so we headed to the pool deck to eat. As you will see, the variety of food was, in my opinion, very minimal. We had Hamburgers and several drinks.

Overall, I thought the ship was in great shape. There was still a lot of Hawaii remnants in terms of decor. In fact, many appeared as though they could be easily removed. However, they did not deter from the decor, and everything looked to be in great shape.

We did not have A/C problems but people we met on board had to move cabins three times. They were originally on deck 9. The hot/cold water was reversed in the sink and shower. The TV was old and TINY. The shower was the smallest I've ever seen, and even though were were only on for 3 days, drawer space was lacking. The lock on the door stopped working on day 2. The room was exceptionally clean. Also, I liked having the rubber type mat on the balcony versus teak. It was comfortable to walk on.

The fitness center was adequate but the smallest of the 5 ships I have been on. There has a variety of equipment, but not much of it. The spa was busy and I didn't get my usual massage treatments.

This was the perfect cruise for me. A short weekend getaway that was very inexpensive. The value for this cruise really balances some of the other areas. In addition, while I always have enjoyed meeting new friends in traditional dining cruises, this type of itinerary lent itself perfectly to free style cruising.

Dining really seemed to be a low point. Aside from the daily hamburgers, hot dogs and chicken, there wasn't much of a selection. I might add that we had a BBQ during sailaway and again the last day because the port was canceled due to weather. Dinner was good but not great. Again, my past experiences on another line simply had much better food and choices. Not to say this was bad, but it certainly wasn't what I had experienced before.

We were not able to get reservations into Cagney's. However, we heard from several people that their dinners in Cagney's and Le Bistro were dreadfully slow.

Service....where to begin? Scenario. $600 in bar tabs for 3 days, adding an additional $1-2 per drink tip, and going to the same bartenders.

Only one bartender used our name the entire trip. The wait staff in the main dining rooms were indifferent. Not bad, but certainly didn't engage in conversation, ask how the cruise was, etc. In the three dinners in the restaurant, the waiter never checked on how the meal was. One one night, I ordered coffee with dessert, and the coffee finally arrived long after I had finished dessert. Another strange thing (perhaps NCL does this and its the norm)--two of the three nights, I was asked to place my dessert order with my main course.

In the past, every staff that I encountered spoke with me, used my name, if passing in the hallway, would always step aside to let guests pass, etc. This was not the case. It seemed that in the past the room steward was always in the hall (so much so that I would joke about never having to use my own key to open the door). We only saw the cabin steward one time. Service was not bad by any means. But it was more a function of doing a task rather than making sure the guests are happy or well taken care of. The opposite can be said of the bar staff at the pool. They must be paid on an incentive as the constant checking to see if a drink was needed was obsessive. This happened the entire cruise.

There were many children on this cruise and they were not the best behaved. The "Adults Only" pool was filled with kids the entire cruise.

Having said all that, the price for this cruise was great, and it was a perfect last minute getaway. Under the same circumstances I would book this cruise again.

Publication Date: 09/02/08