Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by TITISSA: The Sky Was A Surprise

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sky Bahamas Cruises

The Sky Was A Surprise

Sail Date: August 2008
Destination: Bahamas

After reading about all the A/C and toilet problems with the Sky I really didn't want to go on this cruise. I e-mailed NCL CEO and spoke to his assistance who told me my cabin had no issues and besides I couldn't cancel the trip. So we went. This was a short cruise to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday and the end of summer. We flew from White Plains, NY to Fort Lauderdale. I booked Florida Limo to pick us up and drive us down to Miami. It took only about 40 minutes to get to the Port of Miami.

Upon arrival we were directed to a separate room for suite guests for check- in and then escorted to the ship by a staff member. Very fast and smooth. Our concierge Virginia was waiting for us in front of our Owner's Suite. I told her when and where I wanted to have dinner every night and she took care of that. Virginia is a delightful, attentive and very professional woman. Our butler, Erlindo Doca, was eager to serve and took very good care of our family. I'm only sorry it was More such a short cruise because he sure knows how to spoil a guest. The steward (I'm sorry I don't remember his name) was always happy and smiling. We double tipped him because his personality was so pleasant.

The cabin was nicely done with lots of wood and mirrors. Plenty of storage that would be impossible to use on a 3/4 day cruise. The bedroom is separate from the living room and has a big window with a view of the balcony. There is a full bathroom and a powder room. A bar area with a sink and a mini refrigerator. A round table with 4 chairs. In the verandah there are 2 lounge chaises and a hot tub for 2 people. We used it pretty much all day long including at night drinking champagne and star gazing. This was our first time in the bow and we were lucky it was such a smooth sail. We didn't feel any movement at all. The view from the front of the ship is spectacular!

The ship looked a little tired in some areas but well maintained. It looked clean. Walking around the ship sometimes you could smell a sewer smell in the hallways. The staff seemed happy and always greeted us with a smile. I saw a lot of officers and people who didn't look like passengers walking around.

We only ate at the specialty restaurants and the food was good but service was extremely slow. We missed all the shows. However, we went to the White Party and that was really nice. Very few people were dressed in white. But everybody was having a good time.

In Nassau we went to the Sheraton Cable Beach Hotel and rented a day room. They actually gave us an ocean view room. We used the pools and the beach and enjoyed our day very much. The hotel wasn't crowded which was nice. Unfortunately, it was raining when we went to GSC. My husband found a hammock under the trees and slept while my daughters and I spent the morning frolicking in the water. The water temperature was wonderful. That's why I like to cruise in August because I like warm ocean water. Leaving GSC the captain turned the ship west and we sailed right into sunset. Seeing that from the front of the ship was magical!

Debarkation was fast and easy. We met our concierge at the Captain's Cook Lounge and she escorted us out of the ship and a land staff took us to immigration and in minutes we were outside waiting for the lime to take us back to Fort Lauderdale. Because our flight was late at night I booked "A Day At The Beach" at the Pelican Hotel. The hotel is beautiful. We had a wonderful day splashing in the pool and enjoying the beach one last time.

I can honestly say that even though I didn't want to go I'm glad I went and I was very sorry I had to leave:) Less

Read more Norwegian Sky cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sky Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sky 9201

Nicely done. Plenty of storage. Gorgeous view.