Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by RJake1: Dali Meets Disco

Dali Meets Disco

Sail Date: August 2008
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Dover

Unfortunately, the one thing I will probably remember most is the hideous decor of this ship: pink circles everywhere along with black tile with green grout; flashing signs with lettering that changed colors; odd shapes and disjointed visuals. If Salvador Dali had designed Atlantic City it would probably look like this. Several cruisers remarked that they would have skipped the cruise if they'd known it would be like spending 2 weeks in Las Vegas.

All of which is too bad because the ship has some nice features. Our balcony cabin was spacious, well-lighted, and exceptionally clean. The bathroom was roomy and bright. The flat-screen TV was a great touch.

The removable roof over the main pool was outstanding. Even in the North Sea the pool deck was enjoyable thanks to this feature. When the weather cleared, the sky-roof retracted to let the sunshine and fresh air in. Outstanding!!

The food was average to slightly above compared to other ships we've sailed. I More especially appreciated the variety - a deli; sushi bar; pizza stop; burger bar; coffee/pastry shop; and more.

Service was poor. Every night I had to ask our waiter to get the drink steward over to take my order. On two nights I had actually finished my starters before she came over to take my drink order. Totally unacceptable. I attempted to call Guest Services at least 4 times, allowing the phone to ring at least 20 times each, but it went unanswered each time.

Entertainment: Poor. Singers/Dancers were mediocre at best. The closing night's act was an average "Rat Pack" singer that had folks leaving in droves. A magician/comedian was very entertaining, as was a West End soprano, but overall the entertainment was forgettable (and worth skipping).

Ship's deck plan was confusing. One of the main dining rooms is situated smack dab in the middle of the 3rd and 4th decks. If dining room is closed you have to go up or down several floors to get to other end of the ship. Very inconvenient. Someone else mentioned the "hard to find" public rooms. I agree. They were well-hidden. As was "The Web" Internet room which was actually inside a bar. Seems odd to have kids/teens have to walk through a bar when they need to use the Internet. There are deck maps posted at each lift, but they have such small print they were virtually useless.

Smoking: I was worried about this beforehand, but have to say it wasn't an issue for us. We're non-smokers and weren't bothered at all. Smoking was confined to certain areas and the rules appear to have been enforced. Bravo, Carnival! Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor

Very spacious. Roomy bathroom. Nice balcony but snug. Comfy beds. Great flat screen TV. Lots of noise 24/7 coming from what sounded like adjoining work areas (metal banging, carts rolling, footsteps, etc)