Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by dogbone7: Cruisin with Slime

Family & Children 4.5

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Cruisin with Slime

Sail Date: August 2008

This cruise was outstanding. This was the first ever Nickelodeon Family Cruise. It was far better than I imagined. Nickelodeon and RC worked together to make this an outstanding family cruise. For this review I am going to focus on the cruise part since I used this site so much planning mine and I hope I can help others planning to cruise. But I must mention again Nickelodeon and RC did an outstanding job working together with all of the entertainment and surprises that were available.

Embarkation- Went against all the advice on the site and flew from Cleveland to Ft Lauderdale on the same day as the cruise. It went very smoothly. Landed in Ft Lauderdale at 10:30 AM used Miami Beach 411 for private van service to the Port of Miami. Driver was waiting for us, arrived at Port around 11:30. Porter taking the luggage informed us of a delay, but that was not the case. Checked in and were on the Freedom by Noon.

Stateroom- I was a little nervous of the size, we had an More interior stateroom for four. We had plenty of room. The two pullman beds came down from the ceiling, the kids loved sleeping on them. Luggage bags fit very nicely under the main bed. Plenty of shelves and drawers for the entire family.

Pools- Spent a lot of time at the pools. Kids loved the main pool and H2O zone. The adult only pool very nicely laid out.

Dinning- Due to the theme of our cruise it was open seating and no formal nights, however we sat at the same table every night and really got to know our staff. By the third day they had all of our drinks waiting for us. The menu was great throughout the week. We had lobster, steaks, duck, lamb, shrimp, prime rib, etc.

Bars and Nightclubs- our favorite was Bear and Bull. They make outstanding drinks here. Not shy with the booze at all. The view from Olive and Twist is great. Enjoyed late night dancing at the Crypt.

Casino- Staff was very friendly, made losing my money entertaining.

Shows- Great productions. Just like something you would find at the Vegas casinos.

Ocean Adventure- My kids only went here Sunday night. They did enjoy it, but we had so many other activities throughout the week really no time to go back.

Cozumel- I must thank everyone who posted about Nachi Cocom. We went here and it was just like a Corona commercial. Pure paradise. The food was outstanding and the drinks plentiful. My kids had a great time in the ocean and in the pool. Maybe max only 25 people the day we enjoyed the place.

Grand Cayman- Used Native Ways for Stingrays, Starfish, and Coral Reef. They met us at pier. We had Captain Chris and the tour was great. Ocho Rios- did private tour with Phil Lafayette. Some communication problems in the beginning, but the tour was great. I gave Phil the time we were pulling into port and so did the other family with us on the tour, Phil was an hour late to picking us up and blamed it on the port managers, all other private tour guides were on time, so I believe it was Phil who was late, but beside this we did have a great day. Climbed the falls, did river tubing, and learned about the city from Phil.

Labadee- Went to Dragon's Breath first and heard the dragon, then went to the beach to the left of Dragon's Breath. Had a great day at this location. Food was served at the cafe right by our beach. We had a great time at this location, back on the ship heard stories of kids getting stung by jellyfish at the Adventure Water Park beach and kids getting cut by the coral on the beach to the right of Dragon's point. Luckily we did not experience any of this.

Debarkation- We had our driver scheduled to pick us up at 10:00 AM. I shared this with RC, I was surprised that we were in the second group to be called off of the ship, were off the ship by 7:30 AM. Called Miami Beach 411 and they picked us up at 8:20. Had long wait at the airport for flight, but better to sit in A/C at the airport then the hot sun at the Port.

The cruise was great. Highly recommend for families Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Freedom of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Freedom of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 2 6455

Surprised on how much room there was for four in the cabin. Plenty of shelf and storage space. Slept two adults and two kids just fine