Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review by mc&nd: Carnival Fantasy - Bahamas

Carnival Fantasy - Bahamas

Sail Date: May 2004
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

I've taken six cruises in the past 3 years and have thought highly about all of my past cruise with the exception of this one. I've cruised on Commodore (2 times), Carnival (3 times) and Royal Caribbean (1 time/scheduled to go again in two weeks.) I've sailed Inspiration (7 nights), Fascination (3 nights) and this cruise was Fantasy (3 nights). Here goes. . .

The embarkation process went very smoothly. We arrived around 12:30, parked, went through security and were standing under the welcome aboard picture at exactly 1:00 pm. (it's on our picture :0)

I loved the new bedding for the cabins. The white looked very neat and elegant. I loved the set up of the room with the pull down beds for the kids. This is the first time that I've traveled with both of my sons. It was nice to put them up and out of the way with their small toys that we brought along. The worst thing about the room was the bathroom. It appeared to be clean, but it smelled horrible. The entire cruise, More we hated opening the door.

The rest of the ship was nice; however, like others have said, she was showing her age. I personally didn't care for the color coordination throughout the ship.

The Camp Carnival Program was great. My oldest son had a chance to experience it previously on our 7 night cruise. He loves it, and so do we. The first night, we did the Welcome Party and did the twist. The kids had a ball.

We took the Yellowbird partyboat tour in Nassau for our shore excursion. It was not nearly as fun as the Fiesta Party Boat in Cozumel. We went to the beach (Pearl Island) and stayed there for the about 2 hours. There were no beach and water toys. We did have fun with the kids in the water, but it was just a normal day at the beach. Nothing extra. Again, the beach in Cozumel (Playa del Sol) had all of the fun water toys that you could use for free (floaters, paddleboats, trampoline, etc.). We didn't have a lot of time to do anything else since we had main seating for dinner. It really made it hard since it was formal night. The kids went to the Cocktail Party while we went to the Captain's Reception. We took advantage of the babysitting for only an hour, then went to pick up the kids.

The dinning room experience was not at all what I was used to. In every past cruise, I've had ABOVE AVERAGE waiters. This time we did not. They were just ok, if that. There was no personal attention that I've received in the past. The table next to us got lot of attention from their waiter. We sat a table for 10 with one other couple. The kids ate dinner with the Camp Carnival Kids for two nights and once with us (the first night). The food was good, but was small in portions.

Our room steward was just ok, too. Again, we didn't get the personal attention that I was used to. He cleaned the room well, but it was nothing special.

The third night we just had a relaxing day. We did dinner and a show. The show was excellent. We watched a movie and took a nap. It was really a little vacation for the kids more than us. We live in South Florida with no other family that can babysit the kids, so we enjoyed the free time in our cabin, even if it was just to take a nap and watch television. We are taking another cruise on the Majesty of the Seas (RCCL) on June 4th. This time, the kids are not going (we are flying family in) and we will party all night and experience a lot more of the ship.

Overall, while I did not take advantage of all of what the ship had to offer, I had a nice time. I've stayed in a Royal Suites (a gift from a travel agent once before), Oceanview Cabins, and Interior Cabins. This was not the best looking ship and could use a little improvement in the service area. Less

Read more Carnival Fantasy cruise reviews >>