Carnival Victory Cruise Review by qix

Carnival Victory
Carnival Victory
Member Name: qix
Cruise Date: July 2008
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
See More About: Carnival Victory Cruise Reviews | Canada & New England Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Think Again
This is my 3rd cruise. I had been on the Celebrity Zenith in 2006 and the Crown Princess in 2007. I am 47 and was traveling with my girlfriend without any children. The embarkation process was pretty standard. We got on early and our rooms weren't ready. We knew this going in so it wasn't the fault of the cruise line. We went up to the Lido deck to get something to eat and were constantly hounded by waiters trying to push drinks on us. They would actually try handing you the drink like it was free. I'm sure they caught some unsuspecting guests.

We had an inner stateroom on deck 1. The room was bigger than what I remembered on my previous cruises. The room stewards did a good job and were great about getting to the rooms when we were out. The only problem I had was there was no refrigerator. This was very handy on my other cruises.

The dining room service was deplorable. This may seem minor but it was just symbolic of the .service as a whole. When the waiter came to the table I tried to order we tried to order drinks he said that another waiter would be over for that. When the next waiter came he only took bar drink orders. Since I wanted iced tea he said another waiter would get my iced tea. Despite numerous requests I didn't get my iced tea until 50 minutes into the service. I sent a note to the ship and they did give me 4 free drink coupons, however the next nights in the dining room it was the same. My iced tea did not come until the dinner service had already begun. On other cruises after the first night they had our drinks waiting for us at the table. Although the lack iced tea was not a big deal the ships reaction spoke volumes to me. .Although they gave me 4 drink coupons they did nothing to make sure the problem was solved. The menu choices were pretty lame. The menu could have been developed by a local chain restaurant. It wouldn't have been so bad if the food were actually prepared properly. The beef was consistently overcooked and was typically not a very good cut. The overall dining experience in the dining room was very disappointing. The alternative food options were good. They had a buffet for breakfast, lunch, and dinner which was standard buffet food. They also had a little Chinese food stand, a deli stand, burgers etc., and pizza. They were all fine.

The comedian on the cruise was fantastic. His name was Michael Ziegfeld. The shows were also were very good and a lot better than on my other cruises. .Even the cruise directors debarkation talk was very entertaining.

St. John was nice. The reversing falls at the Bay of Fundy is definitely worth the trip. You can save yourself $60 per person if you book your jet boat ride on shore rather than through the ship. We took the free shuttle to town and it drops you off across the street from the jet boat place. If you want to just go to the edge of the falls they take you right there. I think if you want to ride the rapids there will be an additional cost to take a taxi to the portion that has the rapids. The boat we were on did take us in the rapids, but I was also able to take pictures. If you ride in the rapids they give you rain gear because you will get wet.

I suspect the services for the children were very good. We were told there were 600 children on the boat and you would never have known it. They must have been doing something right to keep the children entertained.

However, in summary I told my girlfriend that the crew made us feel like a burden rather than a guest on the ship. I guess I'll make the crew real happy and take my business to Princess and Celebrity. They were much better cruises for approximately the same money..

Publication Date: 08/19/08