Disney Magic Cruise Review by lvsatman

Cruise Date: August 2008
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Category: 10C
See More About: Disney Magic Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals
        13-15 4.0

Ship Facts: Disney Magic Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Magic Deck Plans
Nice, But Not Again
We sailed on the Disney Magic on August 3, 2008 for seven nights. There were a total of four of us in our group. Myself, 37, my wife, 39, son, 14, son's friend, 15. My wife has been on two previous cruises, one with Carnival and one with NCL. My son and I have sailed once before on NCL, and this was his friend's first cruise All in all, we had a very good time, and had no real complaints other than the breakfast buffet. I won't go into great detail, but just try to hit the highlights. SHIP You would never guess this ship just celebrated its 10th birthday. It is in very good shape. I saw very little evidence that it need to go into dry dock in a couple of weeks. Very clean and very well maintained.

CABIN We were in a Cat 10 Deluxe Inside Cabin. We had some initial concerns about booking this cabin with four people, but all in all, it was a nice room, with plenty of room and storage space.

FOOD The breakfast buffet at topsiders is really bad, but other than that, we found the food to be pretty good. Palo is very nice, but I did not feel that it was so much better than the other dining rooms that it was worth an extra $15 per person. We did both brunch and dinner, and would not spend the money to do them again.

ACTIVITIES There are many activities for both the kids and adults on board at all hours. My son and his friend really enjoyed the teen club, The Stack. Most nights they came rolling in around 2am. My wife and I had no problems finding this for us to do. We did beer tasting one day, and tequila tasting another. If you are looking for something to do, you really can't be bored.

EXCURSIONS All four of us only did one excursion, and that was in Cabo. We did the Lands End Cruise that took you out to the Arch Rock. That was pretty fun, and not to expensive. My son and his friend did the Teen Cruise in Puerto Vallarta, they had a very good time on it.

Overall We all had a very good time. Mazatlan is a complete waste of time, but it was nice to finally get to Cabo, AND Puerto Vallarta was nice. Mazatlan is very dirty, and the water is gross. We had a great time, but would not do Disney again. We booked this cruise with great hesitation because of the high cost versus any other cruise line that does this same exact cruise. Other than the cabin being larger than our last cruise on NCL, we saw no difference of any kind in the quality of food or service that we got on NCL. I went on board with an open mind, but I never saw this amazing "Disney" this that makes it worth paying the prices that they charge. Again, we all had a very good time, but in no way did we feel that we got our money's worth. We had Royal's Vision of the Sea's following us the entire week, and we could have gone on that ship, in a balcony, for about $2500 less than we paid for Disney. If you have young children under 10 or 11, I do think that Disney would be worth it, but for us, although I am glad we finally did it, I do not feel it was worth the money we paid. We hated having an assigned dining time. We like Freestyle much better.

Publication Date: 08/17/08