Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Groundtruth: Carnival Glory - July 2008

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Glory - July 2008

Sail Date: July 2008
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Our family sailed aboard the Carnival Glory Mid July 2008. Our western Caribbean seven day cruise included four ports of call; Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Freeport. Overall, I rate the trip as three stars out of five.

The Carnival Glory: Average. DEcor is somewhat tacky and dated - wait until you walk into the theatre, quickly transported back in time - one better left in the past. I really expected much better - but still good fun. There are 3 small pools onboard and only one water slide which had long lines and closes way too early (5 pm). There is a great water wars area where you sling water balloons at each other - but once again this was very limited in operation, at best 1 hour a day. I found Carnival didn't take advantage of having the capability to show movies under the stars like other cruise lines. Sitting under the stars watching a movie with the family is a lost opportunity aboard the Glory. As for the gym, Carnival has an acceptable gym at the back of the ship, More however, they have covered the windows so you are not able to look out at the sea as you exercise.

Staff/Entertainment: Staff was very courteous and simply a pleasure to be at sea with. My daughter and I enjoyed the evening entertainment, so I highly recommend you attend the evening shows if you can.

Food: Yes they have food, and lots of it. Overall the quality was pretty good. The dining room meals were very good, I suggest skipping the pizza.

Drinks: Now this is where I have my most negative comments. The cost of a cruise is not cheap....and you can eat all you want, but a bottle of water is going to cost you $3. I hate the nickel and dime game Carnival plays in this department. Can't Carnival add water and soft drinks to the price of the ticket. Anyway, that's my rant on water. As for the first day onboard...for those who have never sailed before, watch the waiters (and they are everywhere) carrying the drink trays. They walk around and offer the drinks, wait until you take a sip and haul out their "charge pad" and bill you $8 for a fruit punch with some rum.

Ports of call: Don't purchase shore excursions through the ship. You will pay 50-100% markup. I know you won't believe me so if you must, book one cheap excursion through the ship and as you walk off the ship and see the same vendors offering the same excursion at half the price you will understand.

Cozumel, visit the local shops - this is the best area of all the ports of call to do any shopping. The rest of the day we spent at the beach down the road ($15 taxi). The beach and chairs are free, but $10/child to use the rock climbing wall and trampoline in the water (good deal).

Roatan: Really not much to the port. Don't expect to spend the day walking around town...there really isn't one. No really, there isn't one. We went to the beach - beach was very nice and the water was clear. Large coral reef which had lots of marine life.

Belize: Cave tubing with a local named 'Dennis Perez'. He has a website online. He is completely legit and our family had our best time ashore with his tour. He charges $45/person vice the $90 Carnival wanted. And yes, we cave tube at the same place, however, rather than being in a group of 20 people, we had a private tour/cave tubing experience with only 4 plus the guide.

Freeport: Really not much to offer. Some shopping for any last minute gifts you should have purchased in Cozumel!

Disembarking: Carry your own bags and get off the ship hours before the rest.

Well, that's all. If you have any questions I'd be happy to provide my comments via e-mail. I don't recommend this trip to my friends, but you can be your own judge. Happy vacationing. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>