Carnival Pride Cruise Review by JoAnn S: Lots and Lots of problems!

JoAnn S
0 Post

Compare Prices on Carnival Pride Mexican Riviera Cruises

Lots and Lots of problems!

Sail Date: July 2008
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

First - the Good:

We did have a couple of exceptions to service - one was Eva - our server at early dinner service - she was the best and most friendly person on that ship- every time she saw us on the ship - not at dinner - she made a special point of walking right over to us - every time - and having a conversation. Fernando was nice as well - he accommodated our changing our seating from a table of 8 which we did not want, to a table of 2 the next night and for the remainder of the cruise - which is what we had asked for in the first place.

Iriyna - a bartender in the Renaissance Lounge - was also absolutely great. She was friendly, polite and actually knew what she was doing. Also Rita at the pool bar - same. The other bartenders were terrible.

We got in our room on time and it was ready and clean - although we never saw our cabin steward til the next afternoon.

The embarkation process at the pier was very smooth - all THOSE employees were More absolutely superb, polite helpful and professional.

Getting OFF the ship went as smooth as silk - we had early #2 Embarkation - and were at the airport by 8:15. The BAD:

Casino- when my slot machine jammed - I asked a Carnival employee to help - he said ask someone in the casino - I said you ARE in the casino. He just walked away.

Per our instructions - we were to put our luggage out the door between 8-12 on Sat. - when we took it outside a very rude woman said luggage is not supposed to be out til 10 - even when we showed her the paperwork she still was argumentative.

I called our cabin steward and asked for ice for our empty ice bucket. His reply was - you can always go upstairs to get ice in the buffet.

Bartenders acted like they didn't know what we were asking for when we ordered certain things and actually at one point laughed at and made fun of my boyfriend. Most bartenders were from Thailand or the Philippines.

Very little english spoken on this ship by the crew - even the crew that has to interact daily with the passengers.

When we got to Long Beach Pier - we found a line of people that had done "early check in" - and we were there in plenty of time to do that had we known about it. Of course no one did.

All the promotions for wireless internet throughout the ship - however not until we got on board did we find out was available - BUT for 75 cents per minute - come on - when is the gouging going to stop? THE UGLY:

ALL crew members and staff we spoke with said they do not ever drink the tap water on the ship- then why should they ask guests to drink it. The water had a foul smell and taste to it.

I asked our water in the Restaurant (not buffet) for eggs benedict made with fried eggs - not poached. She said absolutely not - you can only get them with poached eggs. I said ok, I will have scrambled eggs. When she brought the eggs, they were extremely undercooked and runny - I asked her to please have my eggs cooked a bit more. Her reply was - I am very busy right now - you will have to wait and it will be a while.

No one wants to help - at all - very surly and rude.

Our one excursion - getting on and off the boat was great - although the one negative - we went on the Sea Lion Encounter - our two tickets were 212.00 - which was in Puerto Vallarta - booked on the ship with Carnival. Encounter was great - BUT afterwards the exorbitant price of purchasing the photos blew us away - 249 US dollars for the photos with a CD - that is even more than the price of the two tickets to the excursion - how much does it cost to print some photos and burn a CD? NOT 249 bucks - that is for sure.

It seemed every time we turned around there was someone trying to get us to spend, spend, spend. We bought a soda card - but had to go to a bar to get a soda - that is weird - so if we wanted a soda at 6:30 in the morning we couldn't get one.

The only way we would ever take another Carnival cruise - would be if we were to win one. And we certainly would NEVER go on the Pride. Less

Read more Carnival Pride cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Pride Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Pride Balcony Panorama 8224

rust on the overhang outside our balcony, huge peeling strips of old paint were flapping around