Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by kevin

Cruise Date: August 2008
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: B1

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Not great not horrible !!!
Norwegian has a long way to go to catch up on the competition. We like other reviewers booked this cruise before it started in the Bahamas. Figured that a balcony on NCL would be better than oceanview on RCCL. We were wrong.

Before I get into the multiple disappointments let me say we still had a wonderful cruise. The boat still looks like it belongs in the aloha state. Upon check in which was very quick and easy we proceeded to the boat and were given watered down juice and champagne. My wife who loves mimosas was told she should take two and just make it herself. So no big deal we were pleased after reading reviews about a/c problems that the boat was very comfortable. We proceeded to make diner reservations at Le Bistro and Cagney's.

Rooms were ready at 2:00 good enough. Then went to our back balcony room on the 8th floor. Entering our room we noticed they were smaller than RCC but still big enough to get comfortable. Until we sat on the bed which was a cushion that is smaller than what my dogs sleep on. That said we had a/c, balcony, and kids are at grandmas we are going to have a great time.

After a quick safety drill we stayed on deck and watch the ship go out of the port. With the early dinner reservation at Le Bistro we were promptly seated. When you book dinner they inform you of the surcharge to eat at Le Bistro, Cagney's, Il Agios. They how ever did not mention the additional charge for lobster ect.. My only complaint is that my lobster, oyster, mussels were not to my taste. My wife how ever got the broiled lobster and it was amazing. The staff walked by several times and told me maybe next time I reserve Le Bistro I should order what she had. Never on any of my cruises has a staff member not offered another menu item. Everything else tasted great.

2nd morning we were to receive breakfast in bed as part of the romance package. Breakfast in bed consisted of pastries juice coffee. Requested eggs as listed on the 24 hour menu and figured that we paid extra for the package it should included what was already included for everybody else. At minimum I would have thought at least a phone call so we could have just gone to a restaurant.

We went into Nassau and walked around baystreet. Proceeded to Queens Stair case and Straw Market. That night we went to Cagney's which was wonderful. Everything went smooth and food was excellent. After changing clothes we headed for White Hot Party Night and the hottub. Everybody seemed to have a great time. Don't understand why it was latin music on Caribbean cruise? Always latin music.

The next day we went ashore for snorkeling and BBQ. snorkeling was okay if you wanted to see fish, rays, Little bit of corral. Never saw a sign or heard crew members tell quests not to touch or stand on corral. Saw plenty of people doing it. BBQ was good activities were suitable. Would have liked more options like waterslide, waverunners, or island tour. For our last meal we returned to Cagney's and we very pleased again. Headed to our room to watch movie and wind down only to find that the movies were about 7 hours off. With no kids we were looking forward to a none kids movie. Being 7 hours off at 10:00 pm Horton hears a who was still the best thing on.

Debarkation went smooth and cruise was good enough. NCL has the right idea with freestyle cruising but has not found the Caribbean flair other boats already have.

Shorts in the restaurants made packing light and easy. Last few things that were not so good. Country music playing in hallways, it's a cruise to the Bahamas. All restaurants serve the same menu everynight. Security, last night a drunk man with his family came out of the dinning room scream at employees and guests about menu choices. It took 10 minutes for any security to approach. Then tried reasoning with him in the middle of the atrium. We were double charged for a soda card and were told money would be off at final bill. Of course as we walked off the boat we were still charged extra. Took two days to get an ash tray. Romance package included spa treatment that was great. Never received strawberries but received rotten fruit instead. Already mentioned the breakfast let down. Never received dessert instead were served five small sandwiches which looked unappealing.

Publication Date: 08/15/08