Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by Dave's Girl

Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Entertainment 5+

Loved It - Again!
Just back from the July 20 - 27 sailing to the Eastern Caribbean with stops in Half Moon Cay, San Juan, St.Thomas, and Grand Turk.

We traveled with a group of 32 people on our fourth Carnival cruise (5th overall). We ranged in age from 19 to 70. We all absolutely LOVED it and are already planning our next group cruise!

EMBARKATION - I must say that the new terminal in Miami is a whole lot better than the last two times I sailed from there. We flew into Ft. Lauderdale from Philadelphia around 11:00 am, waited for the shuttle, and were on the boat by 1:30 pm.

We headed for the Lido Deck, had a reuben sandwich from the deli, and laid out on deck until the muster drill (UGH!). The muster drill was hot, but not as long as in past years.

HALF MOON CAY - This was my first trip to this lovely stop and I was so impressed with it. The sand is definitely the softest I ever felt and the water is so clean and blue. Basically just spent the day on the beach and had the barbecue lunch provided by Carnival.

ST. THOMAS - If you haven't been to Megan's Bay you must go there. This was my third trip there and it gets more beautiful every time I go. Shopped at Havensight Mall and didn't find a crowd anywhere even though two ships were in port. Must be the economy!

PUERTO RICO - This was my third stop here too and I never left the boat. I think this is the worst stop in the Caribbean! If you don't like to tour or shop, there's not a whole lot to do! However, the young adult crowd with us loved Senor Frog's as one was celebrating his birthday and they had a great time!

GRAND TURK - Also, first time here. Loved Margaretaville! The beach is a bit too rocky and hilly for me. We did swim in the water, but spent most of the time at the pool swimming and watching the activities there.

We had wonderful weather the entire week (between 85 and 98 degrees everyday and sunny)!

Now a little about the Triumph itself. This is my second time on the boat and found it to be just as beautiful as 8 years ago. I don't know what anyone could possibly complain about. This ship is in great condition and very well kept and spotlessly clean. I still don't love the layout of the boat but after a day everyone found their way around without any problem.

Dinner in the Paris dining room was wonderful. Never had a bad meal. If you can't find something on the menu that you like then there's a problem with you! Sumi our waitress was wonderful and the service tremendous.

Anel from Haiti was our room steward and was one of the best we ever had!

Evening activities mostly consisted of slot machines in the casino. I didn't do so great, but my friend won $700 and my son won $800 on poker. We also loved karaoke. We had two group members participate in the Legends show!

I only went to the Legends show as it is my experience that Carnival has the same shows year after year.

Debarkation would have been great had we not lost my one son's luggage. We had an early off number because of our flight schedule and would have been off the boat in about 20 minutes had we not waited to see if my son's luggage would come out. After about an hour we gave up and filled out the lost luggage form. There was one bright spot. I called another friend who had a later flight and told him the problem and he promised to look for my son's luggage when he came off. Luckily, he found it! It was put on the wrong conveyor belt!

Flying home was a nightmare. Because of storms in the northeast we were about 3 hours late and when we got to Philadelphia my dad's car needed jumped before we could finally get back on the road to home!

Overall the trip was wonderful and I would not hesitate to recommend the Triumph to anyone. I am a firm believer in the fact that you can't find a bad Carnival trip.

Next trip we are going out of Baltimore on the Pride as we only live about an hour away.

Publication Date: 08/05/08