Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by jimsgirl: Good but not great

Compare Prices on Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Transatlantic Cruises

Good but not great

Sail Date: June 2008
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

The trip was three cruises back to back, TA/Med/TA, being NY to NY. I booked through a travel agent in nearby town, paid for D8 received up grade to D1 Atrium cabin.

Flight: Flew from Ft Myers to NY with Jet Blue, through flight just over 2 hours, we arrived not just on time but a early! (same on return home) Jet Blue was excellent, friendly, helpful smiling staff, spotless plane, received usual drinks, and a choice of four "snacks". Would certainly use Jet Blue again.

Arrival in New York: Cunard rep failed to meet, no transport to Hotel, waited One and half hours, then took a taxi cab, paid with credit card to get receipt in order to claim fare back from Cunard. Hotel was Millennium, it was as expected, Iwent out to eat dinner in the Irish Pub opposite . Again that night although Rep was supposed to come , no one came. Next day, finally found Cunard Rep, NO ID, to be told "your name not on my list for transport" However as my paper work showed transport was incl, More and because the bus had empty seats, I got on anyway. At shipside, you should know that the luggage handlers can be very "uppity" will not handle bags until AFTER you have paid them

Cabin: The Atrium cabins though inside do have a window, however this is in direct line with the cabin opposite, so although you can leave the blinds up during the day, you need most certainly to lower them if you are changing your clothes. Cabin clean, normal size, with a King size bed (cannot be made into two beds)) There was no noise from the Atrium , which had been my concern. I would take this cabin again.

Food: Subjective, as this was 3 cruises the menu was of course repeated .The Breakfast menu could have been more varied, with perhaps a daily special, I thought the waffles could have been offered with berries and cream, but they came only with syrup, and melon for the fruit. Service at Breakfast sometime rather slow and often items which should have been on the table were missing, like sugar, milk, butter etc. Lunch was reasonable , but I did eat quite often either in the Golden Lion or Sir Samuels instead. Dinner, Had a large table , service was very good, wine waiter kept my glass filled, attentive but not "pushy" Deserts, this area does need attention, very bland, some were without any real taste,in fact sometimes it seemed only the "name was changed" not the desert. Did not eat in the Kings Court.

Afternoon tea: This should be taken in the Queens Room, for full experience, please note if you are a first timer, the Queens Room is open to all passengers, I did meet some passengers who confused it with the "restricted" Queens Grill. Be sure to take the scone when it comes around , they are only offered once (sandwiches and cakes are offered several times)

Library: Large selection of books , many paperbacks, which can be taken out without booking but not taken off the ship, these are donated by passengers. Good place to sit - if you can find a seat, there are only a few, but there are many lounges elsewhere, Chart Room, Champagne bar, Sir Samuels, and of course the Atrium

Entertainment: The production shows were exactly the same as on my last 4 cruises, so did not go to most of them. Did enjoy, the piano concert, the harpist etc. Fund the Jazz session in the pub very noisy, the space is too small for that kind of music. TV Films, like the shows these were the self same film as on my last 4 cruises, new ones would be so nice to have.

Also found the lectures very interesting. Was sadly disappointed to find that the lecturer who was to speak on English History, came on board then left the ship within the hour, no explanation given, but assume there was a clash of personalities. In Gib. I was on an almost empty ship, saw a lone female sitting surrounded by luggage in the Atrium , discovered she was a Concert Pianist, who had flown in that morning only to find that the ship DID NOT KNOW SHE WAS COMING. - seems some HO Dept. is defective in their work ethic.

Disembarkation: Did not get the letter concerning where I was to wait to get off until just 12 hours before leaving. This was the fault of the Tour office staff, who failed miserably to provide service. In fact it is the Tour office that arranges for the Reps to meet in- coming passengers, and the transport to Hotel/ship, they are woefully poor at their jobs. I have in fact written a letter of complaint on this to HO, no I am not trying to claim $$$ compensation, I just feel that this is an area needing to be addressed, not all passengers live in the USA, and not all are used to a huge city like NY - in fact I am frankly scared stiff of all the traffic, noise and size of NY, since I normally live in a small rather rural town. Like many passengers of my years I need help when I cruise.

Would I cruise QM2 again, yes,- but do wish they would bring on new shows and films. Less

Read more Queen Mary 2 (QM2) cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Review >>

Cabin review: Queen Mary 2 (QM2)