Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by barbthecruiser

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by barbthecruiser
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Freedom
Member Name: barbthecruiser
Cruise Date: June 2008
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: 8A
See More About: Carnival Freedom Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

What memories are made of!
We booked this cruise 15 months prior to sailing and I cant believe it is over! I never wanted it to end. We flew into Rome two days before our June 27th sailing and checked into the Best Western Globus hotel. The hotel is on the outer edge of the city but affordable. The metro was a 10 min walk away and easily got around the major sites of Rome. It was HOT!!!!!!! I will not travel to Italy again in the summer............ But, you just deal with it. Drink lots of water! We, 36 of us, took a private bus transfer to the port thru Bob limousines of Rome and arrived around 12 noon.

No problems with embarkation very speedy and very helpful staff. Our room was the best room I have ever had. It was cabin 6481 on the very back side of the ship and we had a balcony that was twice as big at the regular 8A. I would recommend this cabin to anyone! We had two huge windows at the foot of each our two beds and then a balcony door that was all windows. The room was a very bright and cheery room. Lots of storage with two women in the room, we had plenty of space for everything.

The ship itself if very huge and after reading all the "gaudy reviews" thought the ship was not that bad. I thought it was clean and bright. The problem is however getting from aft to forward, on many decks you can not walk straight through, you have to go down and then back up. We had the posh dining room on the back of the ship and I must say there is alot of "shaking and shuttering" back there.

The service and food was as good as I have had on Carnival. Good. The deck party was alot of fun, do not miss it. The band was awesome and high energy. I found refuge at the adult pool on the aft of the ship. Very nice and relaxing, no kids screaming and jumping on you in the pool. Get there early for a good spot, it fills up fast.

The ports were of course awesome, we went to Pompeii in Naples and was amazed at the ruins. Walked the wall in Dubrovnik, what an amazingly beautiful old city. Go early to beat the heat and take your time. Then get lost in the small alley streets and soak up the atmosphere. Venice! I ordered some champagne on board and munchies from room service then invited 8 of our friends to our balcony for the sail in party. Wow! It was incredible! Sipping some awesome Italian spumante and slowing entering another 'world"! As we cruised by a beautiful church the bells went off for noon and we all sighed with awe of the moment. My balcony was big enough for all 10 of us.

Venice is awesome, we just took the Carnival shuttle to the water bus and got around with no problems. I brought a baggie of cheerios from the ship and fed the pigeons in St Marks square. It was too much fun! We went to taormina in sicily with Carnival and had a very nice day. WE ate lunch on the patio of a little restaurant over looking the Mediterranean sea with Mt Etna in the back ground! Beautiful! In Barcelona make sure to not miss the Sagrada de familia church! I could sit and stare at that all day!

By the time we got to France we were pretty exhausted so we opted to just walk around the town and relax on the ship. In Livorno we had a private motor coach to Pisa and Florence. The shopping around the leaning tower of Pisa has some of the best prices in Italy. Great! OH! Keep your eye out for sunflower fields as you drive! I loved them! Also in Florence take pictures with the replica of David in the square because there is no picture taking with the really David in the Accademia.

Overall, loved the ship and the itinerary is unbelievable!!!! Enjoy!!!

Publication Date: 07/14/08