Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by purplehair

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by purplehair
Rhapsody of the Seas
Rhapsody of the Seas
Member Name: purplehair
Cruise Date: June 2008
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: M
See More About: Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Rhapsody with the Ladies
We stayed at The Mayflower Park Hotel in Seattle. With a AAA rate it was 202. per night. We loved the Hotel, the staff was very accommodating and very friendly, not to mention very good looking!!! We were able to walk to everything. It's in a great location. We did the Duck Tour and that was a lot of fun. That evening we went to Wild Ginger for dinner. I had read some information on Cruise Critic and was recommended by a friend who lives in Seattle to go there. It was wonderful. The next morning we headed to Pike's Market, three blocks from the hotel. We had breakfast at Lowell's. I also read about it on Cruise Critic. The food was good and it overlooks the waterfront. We shopped around the market, there are great local artisan's and the flowers are amazing and very inexpensive. If I lived there I would want fresh flowers every week. The lower levels were not as interesting.

We had arranged through Shuttle Express to have a Limo pick us up at the hotel and take us to the pier. The check in process went fast and we were on board by 1:15-1:30. We found our rooms left our hand luggage and headed for lunch in the Windjammer Cafe. It was not crazy busy and the food was good. We hung out and as we were leaving Seattle went up on deck 10 for Bon Voyage cocktails and to take pictures. I forgot to mention I am traveling with my mother (65) two other ladies(62) and one other (55). We had dinner the first night in the dinning room. Since there were five of us we had our own table. The service is great there, and the food is wonderful. We had all of our lunches at the Windjammer and a few of the dinners there too. The days we were in port we got back to the ship too late to want to redress for dinner. We ate breakfast in the dinning room only once, we didn't like it as much as the Windjammer. We liked the selection at the Windjammer and enjoyed trying different things. they had several Indian dishes at the buffet which I enjoyed because I like Indian cuisine. The entertainment was very good. I especially enjoyed the Royal Caribbean singers and dancers. this was surely the best group I've seen so far. Very talented group I really enjoyed the Don't Forget the Lyrics game show. And of course the Quest is always great fun!!!

Our first stop was Juneau. This is my second time back to Alaska, I was there three years ago so I had been to Juneau and Skagway before. We shopped around town in the morning and then we had a Trolley Tour of Juneau then we did Mendenhall Glacier and the Glacier Garden Tour. Mendenhall is beautiful, we saw a cinnamon colored black bear there. The Glacier Gardens are nice, I had been there last time. My mother really loves it there. We had a full day and returned to the ship just before departure.

In Skagway we shopped in the morning then did the Jeep 4x4 Tour. This is hands down the best tour I have ever been on and I've done other Jeep tours in other ports but this one was great because we went all the way into the Yukon up to Carcross, following the White Pass and the Chilkoot Trail, just as the men did all those years ago looking for gold. The scenery is out of this world, we also saw two black bear and a grizzly bear on the side of the road. we even got to do some off roading outside of Carcross. The whole tour is 5 1/2 hours. Again a full day and we returned just before departure. Thank goodness a day of rest.

We cruised through Endicott Arm this morning because Tracy Arm had too much ice moving through the water. Endicott Arm is beautiful and we got to see Endicott Glacier. It is huge!!! We saw seals on the ice and I got some great pictures. Our next stop was Prince Rupert. I was very surprised, it is bigger than I expected. We didn't schedule any tours we just did our own thing. We walked from the ship to Cow Bay, great local artisan stuff in the shops there. We then walked around to the town area, lots of local First Nation residents. We had another busy day, came back to the ship late afternoon for vanilla soft serve on the pool deck. Oh, I forgot to mention the weather we were having. The first day at sea was cloudy and foggy, Juneau was sunny and high 50's low 60's. Skagway the same, Endicott Arm was sunny and a little cooler and then Prince Rupert was foggy in the morning but the afternoon was sunny and 60's. We couldn't have asked for anything better. Again thanks for another day of rest, our last sea day was just that, we just lounged all day getting ready to go home.

Our flight from Seattle was at 1:00pm on Friday. We got off the ship at 8:45 am. I had prearranged transportation to the airport with Shuttle Express. We had to wait for a couple of hours once we got to the airport I finally arrived back in Jacksonville at 10:45 pm on Friday night. All of our flights went great. It was good to be home. After such a wonderful trip!!!

We all decided to get our own cabins since we all like a little privacy and frankly we don't want to see each other 24/7. We had interior cabins on deck 7. They were perfect for one person. I have nothing bad to say about the cabins. The beds were pretty comfortable. Seemed like they were newer, with nice linens.

Publication Date: 07/06/08