Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by Alanscruise

Cruise Date: May 2008
Embarkation: Honolulu
Destination: Hawaii
Cabin Category: 11
See More About: Carnival Spirit Cruise Reviews | Hawaii Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

My Golden Cruise
This is my second cruise. The first was on NCL to Hawaii for 7 days. The only thing about the two cruises that was similar was the price. So we booked two category 11 suites and hoped for the best. We loved the Carnival Spirt and all the nice people who work on that ship.

We flew to Honolulu and stayed one night pre-cruise at the Halekulani. If you ever want to go to heaven on earth this is the hotel to try out. The service is 5 star. We stayed around the beautiful pool and had a great dinner in the Orchid's restaurant.

Next day we took a taxi to Aloha Tower to the Carnival Spirit. Since we were in suite rooms we had VIP boarding but no need for that. There was no line and in short order we were on the Spirit. And greeted into the wonderful atrium lobby with glass elevators and a wonderful lobby bar where we were to spend several quiet and happy times.

Our rooms were on deck 6 so up the glass elevator and down the hall. I just could not believe how nice the room was! There was polished wood flooring in the entry hall off of which was a dressing room with full closet. And through the dressing room was the full bath with jets in the bath tub. Since it was my golden birthday several evenings were spent in that tub with the jets on and champagne in hand. Such luxury on a ship! And the main part of the cabin had a king size bed, sofa, chair, mini bar, and another full size closet. Out on the lanai we had 4 chairs and a table. A really good size lanai.

All this was maintained by our wonder Joseph and his assistant. These two cheerful fellows kept our room clean at all times and seemed to know just when to come in while we were out. Joseph took care of all our needs including keeping the mini bar stocked with champagne and sending out clothes out to be cleaned. It was like having a butler to handle all the details. Really great.

The weather in Hawaii was perfect. As former residents we really cannot report on the shore excursions. We sometimes just stay on the ship or if we go ashore we rent a car. But if anyone would like any suggestions about what to do pleas ask.

The food on the ship was just fine with me. We usually took breakfast in the lido buffet. What can you really do with breakfast? It is kind of limited in my opinion. But I always found something to eat and can really suggest the fresh fruit bar. The fellow there slices up fresh melons, mango, papaya, kiwis, just what ever you want to eat. That was very nice.

At lunch the buffet had a lot of stations. Some, like the salad bar did not change too much. They did add some extra daily salads at the end of the line. But most of the rest did change each day. There was different Asian food and there was a station that did a different regional cuisine each day. So I never got to try everything.

We also eat dinner in the main dining rooms. These meals with the professional wait staff of Dewa and Ernie were all very nice. It was fun to try new foods and for the most part all was good. The waiters really wanted to please so if you really did not like something they would just have you chose something else. They were very quick with all of this. The dining room was so nice that on the last night none us really wanted to leave. Think of those smart people who booked the Alaska cruise at the end of this one!

But the real dining highlight for me was my 50th birthday dinner in the Supper Club. Dining on French champagne and the very best of cuisine ranks this as one of the nicest restaurants I have been to. It is just as nice as many places here in San Francisco. This is served with elegance in a relaxed style. With live music playing and the red glass dome lighting everything pink this is real romance. I cannot thank Carnival Spirit enough for making it my very best birthday ever.

Back on deck our days were spend in the water slide or jogging around the decks. I had planned to use the gym a lot but it was so much nicer to go outside and do my yoga with the West Maui mountains in plain view.

In the evenings we would take in a show. They were all fun and different each night. And then we would take a tour through the casino and play al little. But always we would end up for a night cap in the Atrium Bar. A real hotel lobby style bar with or favorite waiter Raymond bringing us a drink. Like other staff members his only concern was that the guests enjoy their vacation. The staff on the ship were all so nice. They always seemed to have time to chat a bit while still keeping an eye on their work. We found so many interesting folks among the staff.

Speaking of staff I want to mention that this ship is super clean. They are always polishing and cleaning. I never entered a public restroom on the ship which was not clean. And it is all done with a smile and cheery "Good Day, Sir". Carnival really does great customer service training for their staff.

We loved the 5 days at sea to Canada. Lots of time to read, relax, and best of all meet other guests. We found a lot of wonderful people from Australia, Canada, and the U.S. It was a lot of fun to just meet them all.

One thing we really enjoyed were the formal nights. A lot of us don't dress up very often so it was really nice to do that. And to see all the other passengers who we only had seen in shorts. But there we all were cleaned up and in our formal wear. It was great. And then to sit in the bar and see everyone going in for the next seating. We loved all the suites and gowns.

Well as you can tell my Golden Birthday cruise on the Carnival Spirit was all I hoped it would be and a lot I never imagined. For the money this was a true bargain. My parents liked it some much they are already booked for the same cruise next year.

And I would not hesitate to go on another Carnival Cruise.

Publication Date: 06/26/08