Ryndam Cruise Review by KBAJ

Cruise Date: May 2004
Embarkation: San Diego
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Cabin Category: E
See More About: Ryndam Cruise Reviews | Panama Canal & Central America Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Ryndam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Ryndam Deck Plans
Ryndam - Central America/Panama Canal

This was a four day cruise from San Diego up the Pacific coast to get the boat to Vancouver for the Alaska season. We had been on the Ryndam's sister boat, Maasdam, last Fall in Alaksa and it is true they are petty much twin ships although I think the Maasdam is in better shape. I guess it is true that you get what you pay for.

We did not purchase an expensive cabin. It was an ocean view on the lowest level (deck A) but it seemed very shabby. The formica on the desk was chipped in many places, the air vent fan in the bathroom was on constantly and so noisy that we had to keep the door closed at all times if we wanted to remain sane. The room had a definite musty smell that I complained about and the repair man showed up at 12:15 AM one morning to fix the plumbing! I explained that it was not a plumbing problem and he went away mumbling. There must have been a plumbing problem somewhere as down the hall there was sewer smell every time we passed one area. Eventually I decided that the shower curtain was the culprit and the staff did change it out for a new one within two hours. The window was so dirty on the outside that the view wasn't really enjoyable.

The food was average to good. Our waiter and assistant were just average and, maybe because of the short duration of the cruise, they never seemed to be interested in getting to know our table all.

I do like the fact that the pool area has a cover so it can be used in all weather but two of the four days the pool was drained and covered with a net. The exercise room is small and staff only interested in selling you there personal training service. Most of the clientele is fairly elderly, lots of walkers and wheelchairs. There was a really funny comedian in the show the first night but, all in all, I think this was perhaps my last Holland America cruise until I reach my 70s!

Publication Date: 06/24/04