Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by textbookcase

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by textbookcase
Liberty of the Seas
Liberty of the Seas
Member Name: textbookcase
Cruise Date: June 2008
Cabin Category: D1
        7-9 1.0
        13-15 2.0

Fabulous Trip - June 6/14!
We just returned from our cruise on the Liberty (6/14 sailing) and had a wonderful time! I've enjoyed reading other reviews, so here is mine:

My husband and I are in our early 40's and traveled with our three kids, ages 9, 13 and 15.

Embarkation: I was a little worried about how long it would take to get on board, but it was a breeze! We arrived in Miami around 11:00 am and took the transportation I booked through RCCL. We were on board by 12:30 - the staff kept things moving and everyone was very pleasant from the cruise line.

We were not able to get to our rooms (we had one on deck 9 and one on deck 6 - both balcony rooms) until after 1:00, so we just checked out the Liberty and ate lunch at Windjammers. For dinner we ate at Johnny Rockets.

Sunday - Day at Sea: The pool was pretty packed, but we were able to get 4 chairs together on the upper deck. The wait staff was very attentive and we had a great day.

For dinner, we decided to eat in the main dining room - for the first and last time. Our waiter had to be the worst waiter I've ever seen in my life. The assistant waiter was great, but the waiter was awful. To start with, we ordered a bottle of wine that took about 30 minutes to be delivered to the table. Then, I asked to see a children's menu for my nine-year old.....he told me NO! He said that she should eat healthy and did not need to see a menu. As a parent, I'm pretty sure I can figure out what she should or should not have, but I would have to see the options before I could make that decision! Then, she asked him for simple pasta with marinara sauce. He told her no, again, and said she needed the alfredo sauce. HUNH?! Finally he brought both, so she sat there trying not to stick her elbow into the extra dish. I think he started to realize that he made a mistake in not providing the children's menu, so he asked me if I wanted it about halfway through the meal. At that point, I didn't want this to drag out any longer than it need to. This dinner was so painful - we really just wanted to enjoy the evening (it was formal night and it took an act of Congress to get the kids and my husband to dress up). My family did not want to go back to the dining room after this dinner.

Monday - Labadee: This is such a beautiful place! We enjoyed a beach day and my husband, son and daughter did the zip line. They thought it was a little slow (the instructors tell them how to sit, which makes you go faster or slower) but I heard other people talking about how much fun it was. The vendors are very aggressive, but since our purchases help feed their families, I just paid whatever they asked.

Tuesday - Jamaica: Great day! We took an excursion (through RCCL) that took us to the beach for a couple of hours and to Margaritaville - we had a blast! Jamaica is a gorgeous place, but watch out if you use your credit card. We made a purchase the next day in Grand Cayman (using the same credit card) and the credit card company wanted to talk to us before it was approved. Turns out that someone in Jamaica tried to purchase gas with our card but was denied. Cash would be a better way to go.

Tuesday - BINGO! The one game was played to win a free cruise for two….and my husband WON! It was pretty funny because my husband was not too excited to play and at first was not getting any of his numbers called. Then, one by one, he started getting his numbers!

We also went to the Love and Marriage Show - awesome! Alan Brooks (CD) was very funny and the couples were hilarious!

Weds. - Grand Cayman: We went to Stingray City, which was fabulous. Definitely a must do! Out tour guide was a lot of fun and this excursion was my middle child's favorite.

Weds. Night - Portofino: We thoroughly enjoyed this dinner. Our waitress was Katiana, and she really went out of her way to make us feel special. I recommend trying this restaurant.

Thursday - Cozumel: We booked a dolphin excursion at Dolphinaris, and it was so fun! You get a smooch from the dolphin, shake hands with her and she pulls you through the water. I took my girls on this one and my husband took my son to ride jet skis (not thru RCCL). They also had a great time.

Friday - At Sea: We needed this day to unwind and not have anything really scheduled. More pool time and my husband did the Flowrider (my kids had done it earlier in the week). Other than the face plant, he said it was fun. Ladies: You need to wear a tight fitting shirt over your swim suit - you WILL lose your top on this!

Disembarkation: Getting off the ship was pretty easy; getting our luggage took a bit longer. We received the luggage for one room very quickly, but had to wait another 45 minutes for the other luggage (and we were all the same color). Other than that, it wasn't too bad considering how many people they are moving off that huge ship.

Overall - we are so pleased with our trip and can't wait to go back! I know the memories my children have about this trip will last forever.

Publication Date: 06/22/08