Carnival Valor Cruise Review by Rhkloos: Walmart of Cruising

0 Post

Compare Prices on Carnival Valor Western Caribbean Cruises

Walmart of Cruising

Sail Date: June 2008

We booked this cruise on The Valor because we were told the "ship is a destination of it's own!" Not the case!!!!!!!!!!! We boarded the boat expecting to see grand luxury as this is one of Carnival's best ships..and we never found that luxury. In fact, we found dirty, musty dining areas and the staff seemed to have an attitude at times. Our cabin steward was the only bright spot! And he was great! He managed to keep up with my family of 4!

The following items were noted that need to be addressed by Carnival:

1. Lido dining areas were filthy with food crumbs and sticky dining tables. We even watched for a table that had been cleaned--and we still found food crumbs all over the seats and table.

2. The Main dining rooms (yes both the Washington and Lincoln) had terrible odors..musty, stale food, damp carpet...?? I am not sure--but for a fairly new ship..I think this could be resolved.

3. The food was mediocre at best. The water was not even More drinkable--so, of course, they have bottled water to sell you for 3.50 per bottle at the table. The waiter even stated that the water was awful. Funny, though, the Lido dining water seemed to be fine. I can not say that we experienced a great meal in all 7 nights--and we ate all 7 nights in the main dining area. I think this is to encourage you to book a reservation in their Supper club at $30.00 per person. (What happened to all inclusive???) Room service was cold and your tray of food in the buffet areas would become cold while you waited to find a drink or empty table..or both. The most popular item with my kids was the 24 hour pizza that was never available without a wait and a little attitude from the staff.

4. Entertainment was edgy--I mean my 12 year old was embarrassed as the dancers shook there bare bottoms in our faces (they were wearing thongs) during one of the shows. I also did not enjoy the comedians that used inappropriate language and context for a family show. (They were trying to bait you to attend the R rated show later) We also witnessed vulgar, sexually explicit games during the "Color wars"..again not in an R rated environment...right in the promenade area at 10pm.

5.Your neighbors for 7 days are mostly drunk, cussing, and dancing in suggestive ways. You just cant get away from it..unless you stay in your stateroom. I even witnessed open under aged drinking that was not being questioned by staff.

6. The shore excursions through Carnival were very overpriced..we found many of the same activities through the same vendors at 1/2 the price. Why does Carnival have to subject us to a 50% markup for the convenience of booking through them???

I am writing this to warn any families with kids that are thinking of taking this cruise...it may not be the right environment for young people. The impression I left with--is that Carnival is catering to the alcohol drinkers--because that is how they make their money-- so they overlook the behaviors that most families with morals would not want to be exposed to. A little fun and a drink or 2 is not a problem--but when you have passengers passing out in the common areas and vomiting--or hanging off the railings with no avail to safety...that is not for everyone. Less

Read more Carnival Valor cruise reviews >>