Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by notCsick

Norwegian Dawn
Norwegian Dawn
Member Name: notCsick
Cruise Date: May 2008
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda

Never again unless its free
May 11th from NY to Bermuda. By now most have heard about the unfortunate tragedy that occurred on our trip to Bermuda (Mindy Jordan went over her balcony railing, plunging to her death) and I want to say upfront that I thought the ship's captain was pretty good about keeping the passengers abreast of the evenings events. And I can't blame NCL for the 40+ foot waves and 50+ mph winds we had to deal with all the way to Bermuda BUT I can place blame on them for not having any alternative "rainy day" activities planned. Think about it - the pools/hot tubs were drained all the way to and from Bermuda. Maybe the cruise staff could have found alternative activities for the passengers. As I would say to my friend - "There is always the casino". As a side note, they serve free drinks (well drinks and beer) to passengers playing using their casino card!!

There was a rum tasting event in the Pearly Pub that was almost cancelled due to the weather??? It was in a bar what did that have to do with the weather outside??

As for food, I thought it was very bland and lacked choices. I had eggs and an english muffing most mornings and pasta and veggies most lunches. The night of "surf and more surf" was dry and over cooked and I love seafood. How sad for me.. The best dessert I had all week was vanilla ice cream and even that was not all that good. We went to Cagney's on Monday night (2nd night of the trip) and I asked for a glass of Pinot Noir to go with my dinner and they told me they only had 3 bottles left for the trip and I could only buy it by the bottle. 3 bottles?? We left NYC the day before.. I think I might have gained 1lb on my all you can eat cruise..

The cabin - I thought it was a bit small but adequate for sleeping. Thankfully we had a balcony so it gave us a bit more space. The ship was in the process of being upgraded during the cruise so mid-week we were given new pillows. They were more decoration that utility so I asked our cabin steward for another pillow.

The ship should have compensated the passengers for their troubles - maybe an hour or two of free drinks? Maybe an onboard credit of $25 - 50 a person, maybe the staff could have engaged us a bit more.. Something.

Overall this was a disappointing cruise but it wont stop me from cruising again but it wont be on NCL unless its free.

Publication Date: 06/12/08