Carnival Glory Cruise Review by GACruisers08

Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: 8C
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+

Glorious Time!
My first Carnival cruise and all I can think to say first off is WOW! What a fantastic week. This was our fourth cruise, having previously sailed on Celebrity. The words "Fun Ship" are accurate. This ship is loads of fun!

We spent the night before the cruise in Cocoa Beach at the Comfort Inn. The rooms look pretty old, but are comfortable and good for a night's stay. The pool is big and the surrounding court yard is beautiful. There is a snack hut next to the pool that serves all kinds of things like hamburgers, hotdogs, etc. They even serve a breakfast buffet. The motel is next door to the famous Ron Jon's Surf Shop. This is a must see while in Cocoa Beach.

On Saturday, we took the motel shuttle to the ship arriving around 11:30 am. We went through the embarkation process quickly and were on the ship by 12 noon. The first thing we noticed when boarding the ship was the awesome decor. The colors were wonderful. The way the fixtures change colors is nice.

We went to the Red Sail dining room for lunch. The selections on the buffet were good on this day and the entire week. They have a desert area that serves all kinds of cheesecake and other desserts. The key lime pie was my favorite.

There was a fish and chips area in the upstairs part of the dining room. My wife said it was very good but you have to really look for it or you'll miss it. There was also a deli where you could get sandwiches and an Oriental area.

The Platinum Dining Room was the highlight of our trip. We had two outstanding waiters. Their names were Edwin and Hernan. They were so much fun and what can I say about the food?! It was outstanding. The prime rib was great and the BBQ ribs were outstanding. I had them twice and I'm not really a ribs lover. We didn't have one bad meal the entire week. Each night, the Maitre' D would address the dining room and welcome everyone and would sometimes talk about some of the activities and ports we would experience the next day. One night he led all the wait staff in song and dance and we all did the congo around the dining room. On the last night, the waiters sang a goodbye song to us. This was the first time we'd ever experienced anything like this in the main dining room. It was a treat that we will never forget.

We ate at the Emerald Room Supper Club on Tuesday night. It was $30 extra per person, but worth it for the food. I had the 24oz Porterhouse steak and it was the best steak I've ever eaten. I hate to admit it, but I ate the whole thing and wanted more. My wife had the filet mignon and lobster and it was outstanding as well. The only thing we didn't like was the service. After we were seated, it was 30 minutes before they took our order and we had to ask 3 times for drink refills. We had heard the service was excellent so we were disappointed. I would still recommend it for the food though.

One more thing I want to mention is the icecream bar, burger bar and pizza bar. Every day we had the yogurt and it was some of the best we've ever tried. It was great to come back from an excursion and have some. It really cools you off. The pizza was good, but not outstanding. We enjoyed the hamburgers and hotdogs and they made a good snack in the afternoon.

We had a balcony cabin and it was very nice. Plenty of room and the bathroom was set up nicely. I loved the shower. Our balcony was a good size and we were with another couple on this cruise so we were able to open the door between our balconies making it one big one. We spent a lot of time sitting out there watching the ocean and the different ports as we arrived each day.

The cruise director, Mark Price, was great. He was funnier than the comedians that were brought in during the week. He is also a hypnotist and his show was so funny. We laughed so hard we hurt. I hope we see him again someday. The entertainment was great all week and the singers and dancers did a great job.

This is the biggest ship we've been on and we were a little weary at first about being on a ship with so many people. We thought the lines would be long. Boy were we wrong! We hardly ever had to wait in line in the dining rooms and sometimes we asked ourselves where everyone was. The ship felt much smaller than it was which is a good thing. We didn't travel with children so we don't know much about the Camp Carnival experience. All I can say is it much be great because I didn't see many kids on the ship until the last day as we were leaving. I asked my wife where all these kids were all week.

Overall, this was a great ship and I know we will want to sail on the Glory again. We couldn't have asked for a better week. One last thing, the disembarkation was a breeze. We were off the ship by 10:30 am. I love the way Carnival places your luggage on conveyer belts like at airports. It's so easy to get them and get off the ship. I wish all Cruise lines were like this.

Publication Date: 06/07/08