Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Lobsterman

Member Name: Lobsterman
Cruise Date: May 2008
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Glory Review, Great Ship
I went on 3 cruises about 35 years ago, this was my wife's first. We left the Atlanta area and drove the 500 miles to Port Canaveral. We went the night before and stayed at the Radisson Inn for the $129 "Cruise Special". I thought the room was nice, I liked the Select Comfort bed and enjoyed the breakfast buffet. Quick ride on the shuttle bus to the Terminal, we were on board in no time.

First thing we did was go to our room and drop our carry ons off. I loved the room, a balcony is the only way to go! Panorama Deck, 10th floor next to the forward elevators. We just had to walk down the hall and come out next to the Waterslide,then down some steps to the Lido Deck where the Red Sail Dining Room is. I loved the cheeseburgers off the grill, I got one before we discovered where the buffet lines were. I had to try that too, that's why I gained twelve pounds last week! Too much food everywhere, there is no excuse for going hungry.

We left port at 4PM. Like everyone else, I hated the Lifeboat Drill as the ship pulled away from the dock. They should hold the drill then let everyone leave to find a rail. Another great reason for a balcony room,you can enjoy coming and leaving port or dine from the Room Service Menu in your bath robe. Anthony from India was our Cabin Steward, great guy. He took great care of us and always had a big smile on his face. We tipped him extra our last night. The shower temperature knob and curtain took a little to get used to. The bed and linens were very comfortable.

We ate dinner at Table 516 in the Platinum Dining Room at the 8:15 setting. "Jay" and "YMCA" were our waiters and were from Polynesia. They were great also, fantastic service. They quickly learned our names and would remember what we drank. We would usually eat breakfast and lunch at the Red Sail Buffet. We ate at the Emerald Room Supper Club Thursday night, it was well worth it. I had the best steak I had in a long time, I wished we had booked another night earlier in the week. The rest of the food on board was just average as far as quality was concerned. This is probably my only complaint. There is so much of a variety though, you just have to look around and find what you like.

First port was Nassau, it turned out to be our least favorite. We took a guided tour around town and finished it at the Pirate Museum a block from the Straw Market. Joe, our driver was great. He showed us the government, banks, schools, and church buildings. I hated be hustled for tips everywhere. I didn't want beads and I don't want my short hair braided. Lots of poverty here, I understand they are just trying to make a living, its just I felt like we were harassed a lot. We got a straw beach bag at the Straw Market and went back on board.

Next stop was St Thomas, my favorite! I turned fifty years old that day, and we went sailing on the catamaran Castaway Girl and went snorkeling at Shipwreck Cove. Young crew was a lot of fun. Good gear, we were split into two groups and led around by a marine biologist. I enjoyed the crystal clear water with the beautiful coral, colorful fish, sea turtles, and a sunken smugglers boat. Best snorkeling adventure by far, I strongly recommend it.

Last port was St. Maartens, we did another snorkeling trip to Sharks Cove on a catamaran called "Honey Bunny". Nicer boat, but snorkeling was not as good. The crew just pointed out a certain area and put us in the water on our own. The gear wasn't as good, and the water wasn't as clear. Not much fish, although there was a sunken submarine to swim over. After that, we got to swim to the beach and enjoy a BBQ of baby back ribs, rice, and rum punch. Good food and it was all I could eat. Then it was an hour of enjoying the beach before we swam back to the boat and went back to the Glory.

We then had two sea days on our trip back to Florida. We had ten foot swells on Thursday, so the ship would roll a little bit. I wished I had some duct tape to tape the drawers shut in our cabin so they wouldn't slam closed so much.It wasn't really that bad, although we had to grab a railing sometimes. The Dancers on the Broadway Show put on a decent show that night despite of this. The advice about bringing a Power Strip is good too, as there is only one electrical outlet in the cabin.

It was sad to leave the Glory Saturday morning and return to the "real world". I thought the ship was great for the most part. It was kept clean although there are signs of a little wear and tear here and there. The crew was great, they were eager to please and we had a great time. For the money, I would recommend the Glory to anyone. We may sign up and do a Western Caribbean Cruise on her next.

Publication Date: 05/23/08