Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Cruisin_Fanatic

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Cruisin_Fanatic
Carnival Glory
Carnival Glory
Member Name: Cruisin_Fanatic
Email: afranklin1@yahoo.com
Cruise Date: May 2008
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: 6A

My Glory Review May 3-10 2008
I am finally at a point where I have a bit of energy and time now to recap my recent cruise on the Carnival Glory...sea legs are gone and its back to work on tomorrow ...I needed to take some extra days off after my vacation to regroup, lol.

On to my review...It was my husband and I on the Carnival Glory for the first time. We are in our mid-thirties. This was my 5th cruise and my husband's 3rd cruise. If it were possible, I would have preferred to leave for Florida the day before but since it was not possible this time around, so we booked the first flight out of Memphis on our May 3rd departure date. The first mishap we encountered was regarding our flight. At about 11pm May 2nd, something kept tugging me to check my cell phone for voicemails and reluctantly I went ahead and did it. To my surprise, there was a voicemail recording from US Airways stating my 6:03a flight was going to be delayed by 5hrs ..then another voicemail stating the flight had been cancelled ....yes, panic set in very quickly and I was on the phone with US Airways from about 11:15pm until 1am trying to get rebooked with another airline. They finally got us booked with Delta for a 7:15a departure time...needless to say once at the airport, Delta had a mechanical delay and we were called to their desk so they could rebook us as well. They stated we would not make the flight connection in Charlotte due to the delay. Sooooooo, Delta ended up rebooking us first class with Northwest Airlines. (Sidenote: I was against ever flying on NWA due to 2 bizarre exact dreams I had about a year ago on 2 separate occasions, so I refused to ever go NWA)...needless to say, I was really freaked out of getting on that flight...I really panicked , but since I am here letting you all know of my return from the Glory, I survived the NWA flight lol.

We FINALLY arrived at MCO and our shuttle bus was waiting for us. I finally was able to calm down and we were headed to Port Canaveral to board the Glory. Check in was super fast and we had no problems at this point. We were booked on the Riviera deck cabin 1270 ocean view (We would have booked on a higher deck but we had last minute booking changes in January and pickings were slim). I was content with the cabin and we hardly felt any movement. Formal nights were Sunday and Thursday (both sea days)...we ate in the Supper Club on both formal nights and we only ate in the formal dining room on our very first night, all other times we ate on the Lido because we had 6:15p dining, but with the port days and all, we didn't feel like having to rush to shower/change and hurry to the dining room. The food for some reason this time around was not the greatest...could be that it was buffet, I don't know. But we really didn't care for the food on the Glory. I did enjoy the fact that they now serve sushi on the buffet and it was great. I also enjoyed the fried oysters and calamari where they serve the fish n chips. The service and food in the Supper club was good, but again, the food wasn't as good in this supper club as I remembered on the Valor last year.

I didn't notice chair hogs and from what the purser desk indicated, the ship was at full sailing capacity.

Our first port of call was Cozumel: We have been to Cozumel 2 previous times and previously I was not impressed...However, that was prior to me finding cruise critics . This time around Cozumel was very pleasant and enjoyable. They have a new docking area for ships and once u walk to the end of the docking area, there is a covered outdoor shopping area which is very nice! The day was very nice and sunny and had a nice breeze. We went to Paradise Beach for the first time and we thoroughly enjoyed that beach. Then we went back towards the new shopping area and we shopped and grabbed some Baskin Robbins ice cream, took pics and headed back to the ship. I cant wait to go back to Cozumel.

Our next port of call was Belize: Here we did an excursion with one of the independent tour operators that was waiting for us upon tendering in. (Sorry, but I don't recall the name)..it was $40pp and we went to Altun Ha to see the ruins. The ruins itself was nice and a good photo Op and we also did a short walk thru the rain forest. But it was not worth the money. The ride seemed like 40 minutes going and 40 minutes coming back, the roads were extremely bumpy and we were told we would be in air conditioned van. I was sitting on the first row and was struggling to get air, so I can only imagine how much worse it was for those sitting in the back rows of the van. We didn't get to do any shopping at the dock area because we were too tired after the long ride back and decided to go ahead and get in line for the tender back to the ship.

Our 3rd port of call was Roatan Island, Honduras: In Honduras, we booked in advance a tour with Victor Bodden. I enjoyed this excursion because the tour only consisted of our driver (Antiny Hamilton), my husband and I. The vehicle WAS air conditioned. He took us wherever we wanted to go and he showed us areas of their island. This was a nice personalized tour. Antiny even took us to Victor's home where we met Victor's wife and son, we saw the spider monkeys and some other animals Victor has on his land. We then went to West Bay beach (I believe that was the beach we visited), we stopped and captured some nice photo ops along the way. Our driver dropped us off near the shopping area right outside the dock where prices were a little cheaper so we could get some souvenirs. Antiny was very nice and knowledgeable.

Our final port of call was Freeport, Bahamas: At this stop, we went to Port Lucaya Marketplace and mostly shopped. We had planned to visit the beach across the street at one of the casino's, but it started to rain so after we shopped, we headed back to the ship. We were really tired and just wanted to enjoy our last cruising day. On the way back to the ship, we saw one of the taxi vans had flipped on its side...I just prayed that no one was hurt and that no one from the ship was in it.

Overall, we had a good time. Our cabin steward Peter was great, he always greeted us by name. We ordered room service many nights and the turkey and cheese on wheat was good along with a fruit bowl. I don't think we will sail on the Glory again. We are already looking into booking a cruise for Jan 2009 on either the Splendor or Miracle, we are also thinking about possibly trying Royal Caribbean or Princess just to see what the other ships are like. I will keep you all posted once we decide upon a booking.

If you have any questions, let me know and I will try to answer them. I frequent cruise critics daily...as I am an addict

Publication Date: 05/14/08