Carnival Glory Cruise Review by OnTap

Cruise Date: May 2008
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Dining 5+

I've had better!
I am 25 and my boyfriend is 23. This is my second cruise with Carnival. It was my boyfriend's first cruise ever. We did the Western Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Glory out of Port Canaveral. We live 3 hours from Orlando, so we drove down the day before to stay with my cousin who lives there. We had her drive us to the dock to save on parking dock fees (smart choice!) and we were onboard within 20 minutes. We did have a bit of a problem with our room, however. We opted for the guaranteed interior room to save money (smart choice!)and were told two different rooms/floors by the porter and check-in. The porter told us our room was 1394 and then the check-in desk told us 7227. Since our luggage went to the wrong place, we had to go and find it down by the purser's desk 3 hours later despite the fact that the purser told us that they would take care of it.

That definitely worked up an appetite so afterwards, we started to sample the food! I must say that what the Glory lacked in staff hospitality, it made up for in cuisine. I had one bad meal the entire week--and we ate at least 6 times a day! I was very impressed with the food. The chocolate melting cake was incredible all week and the cappuccino pie was to die for. We made ourselves sick eating so much because we couldn't bear to leave it!

We didn't see much of the entertainment because we were always so tired and fat and full at the end of the day and collapsed in the awesome Carnival comfort beds! they were so comfy we could hardly ever roll out of them. The rooms are small, so be prepared. We did catch the Carnival Legends show, which was hilarious with impersonators. We were really looking forward to the comedian, but he missed the boat or had an emergency, one. Our room steward wasn't really that great in my opinion because he was a little rude and didn't even clean our room the first day or two. I almost lowered the gratuities because of him.

Time to talk about ports! First stop was Cozumel, Mexico: the most beautiful place I've ever seen. The water is so blue. We went on the cruise ships' "Mayan ruins at Tulum" tour. The ruins and the beach were absolutely out of a dream. I highly recommend this tour! Our guide was not only warm, friendly and spoke great English, but he was very knowledgeable and interesting the whole day. I do have a major warning about this excursion: beware the ferry ride!!It was horrible. Everyone was sick because the boat was swaying the whole 45 minutes. We were all a little annoyed at how unprepared we were--no dramamine in sight! I never get motion sick, but I was having a rough time. My boyfriend spent the last 10 minutes in the bathroom. moral of the story: take dramamine and breath deeply--it helps.

Next stop was Belize. We went cave tubing with cave-tubing.com and I give them many thumbs up! They were all very funny and laid back, plus it was really cheap and they got us back in plenty of time to shop a little. Speaking of shopping, I ended up getting a beautiful silver Mayan bracelet for $10 after the guy first asked $65! The next stop was Roatan Island, Honduras. Talk about a diamond in the rough! This island is like a tiny Costa Rica. We went on a private tour through Victor Bodden and had a blast! We did the jungle canopy tour. This is an absolute must do! We were the only ones up there, so we had time and so much fun! We also did a petting zoo at Victor's house and played with spiders monkeys. They were so cute! We were done in plenty of time to shop.

Last stop was Freeport, Bahamas. We could have just spent an extra day in Mexico! It was bad: seaweed in the water, clouds overhead and very hot/humid.

Overall, it was a great time, despite the mean room steward and no trash cans anywhere on deck. We're ready to go again, but maybe not on Glory because of the less-than-impressive staff.
Publication Date: 05/14/08