Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by wolfcel

Norwegian Spirit
Norwegian Spirit
Member Name: wolfcel
Cruise Date: May 2008
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Cabin Category: BA
See More About: Norwegian Spirit Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Good Time Had By All (in our group)
Our morning started out by leaving our house at 11am. We arrived at the Pier 40 minutes later, no traffic at all. Our luggage was taken right away at curbside. We entered the Pier terminal and was directed into the "herding line". Because we were past NCL guests and had a Latitudes Membership, we were directed to the Latitudes line...MUCH smaller then the non-member lines. We were given a #5 card and told to wait for the next available rep. Our wait was no longer then 10 minutes. It took the rep approx 10 minutes to get all of our info and then we were told to wait for our #5 to be called...the wait time was approx 45 minutes.

We boarded the ship and was told that the rooms would be ready at about 2pm. We headed for the Raffles buffet for lunch, we decided that we didn't want to spend the time inside. We got our lunch and headed right outside on Deck 12 above the kiddie pool.

At 2pm an announcement was made that the cabins were ready. We headed down to our cabin (11096) and it was just as described on the NCL website. The cabin was clean (except for a glass that was hidden). There were plenty of hangers in the closet, 22 to be exact. We unpacked our suitcases. Between the hangers, shelves and drawers, both us girls were able to take everything out of the bags. We stored 2 suitcases in the closet and the 3rd under the bed.

For our Excursions we did the following:

San Juan - Old San Juan & Bacardi Distillery Tour: We visited San Cristobal Fortress and toured the Bacardi Distillery where we were given 2 drink samples which were a nice size.

Tortola - Sea & Sea tour: This tour consisted of 2 parts, the first was our "Pirate" adventure at Sea. We boarded a boat and was given a terrific tour of the island and surrounding islands. We headed to Sopher's Hole for some shopping and then boarded an open bus for a tour of the island by land. We LOVED Tortola and would go back in a heartbeat. What a beautiful island.

Samana - Discover Samana Tour: On this tour we boarded an air conditioned bus and it took us all over the island. The people are very poor and their living conditions are unbelievable. The tour director was great and explained alot about living on the island. We were taken to a "gift shop" where we could purchase items to help the people.

The Ship: First I have to say that the Spirit is a beautiful ship. I was worried about what to expect from reading some posts on the board but I was very pleased with what we found. There is no neon and flashing lights but everything was very classy. I would sail on the Spirit again. No doubt about it.

Food: I had no problems with the food at all. We ate in Windows for dinner all but 1 night when we went to La Trattoria. The food was always good. The Lobster was delicious as was the Beef Wellington (yes, had both that night). The food in Raffles was also good. The French Toast was delicious as was the cold soups...don't pass by the Banana Cold Soup...it's to die for!! We had room service for breakfast 2 mornings and the food arrived on time on both occasions.

Entertainment: We enjoyed the shows that we saw - the first night was Chance, he was very talented - tap dancing and singing. The Second night we went to the "Best of Broadway Music" show (might not be the right name of the show) but the songs were terrific. Made me want to go see Wicked even more and Hairspray again! The Illusionist was also very good and entertaining. We were in Galaxy of the Stars a few nights and enjoyed the music there as well.

Service: Above and beyond the call of duty. Everyone from our Room Steward to the Waiters to someone you passed in the hallways always greeted you with a warm smile. Our room steward new our names the first day and ALWAYS greeted us by name. I hate to admit it but I never got her name correct...she new all 4 of us by name and we didn't get hers right...shame on us.

Cabin: Our cabin was a balcony stateroom (now I'm spoiled!). When we arrived the beds were set up as a queen. We requested them to be split and it was done by the time we returned after dinner. The beds were very firm...I mean VERY FIRM. My fault, I didn't ask for a mattress topper. The "comforter" (sheet/blanket) was terrific and I wish I could have packed one in my suitcase to take home....LOVED IT! Our closet had 22 hangers in it and plenty of shelves to store clothes.

Publication Date: 05/13/08